SBL 7

aametalmaster

Registered
Registered
Here is my SBL 7" shaper i bought for 300 bucks minus the stand. I welded up a stand and put 2 new belts and a cord on the shaper and it was good to go. It runs great and looks like new on all the wear surfaces. I wanted a stand with the old time looking top so i made up this one. Here it is in action cutting a tee nut for Nelson's 10L lathe compound...Bob

shaper.jpg tray.jpg teenut2[1].jpg teenut3[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Because "carbide" tooling and the newer modern mill could do it cheaper. I went to trades school in the late 70's and we learned how to run the shapers and grind the tooling for them. Didn't know but when we got out of school not many shops had them. But i use mine and i am always grinding special cutters for some goofy shape...Bob

MVC-027F.JPG MVC-029F.JPG plates.jpg plates3.jpg rusty rolled1.jpg rusty rolled2.jpg MVC-006F.JPG MVC-016F.JPG MVC-022F.JPG MVC-023F.JPG MVC-024F.JPG plates1.jpg

author=knudsen link=topic=34.msg109#msg109 date=1285645707
Ahh yes, the almighty dollar and carbide.

But the funny thing is the same carbide the was the demise for shapers really wakes it up. You will notice i am using carbide in almost all of my pics. I can remove a good 1/8" but i don't want to ruin my little machine. The last big Cinci i ran i could remove 1" at a pass. Go to you tube and watch some of the shaper vids they are pretty cool...Bob

Re: SBL 7" Shaper

I have a 12: Hendey and being a home shop I'm not in a hurry to get things done. Nice SBL 7: Shaper Bob.

I haven't tryed carbide in mine yet, But I will next time I use it.

Paul

author=Old Iron link=topic=34.msg139#msg139 date=1285813820
I have a 12: Hendey and being a home shop I'm not in a hurry to get things done. Nice SBL 7: Shaper Bob.

I haven't tryed carbide in mine yet, But I will next time I use it.

Paul

Thanks Paul. HSS will leave a nicer finish but if you have some roughing work give the carbide a try. I have always read and prob quoted that you can't use carbide on a shaper. Well that myth was wrong too...Bob

Thanks Bob I'll give it a try next time I fire it up.

Paul

You got one heck of a good deal for $300.00. usually small shapers like that go for anywhere from 600.00 to 800.00. Enjoy!!

I would buy them all day for 300 bucks. But i did have to spend 18 dollars on 2 belts and some new wire for the motor and switch. Great little machine...Bob

One of the biggest attractions of a shaper for a hobbyist is that you can sharpen the tool bits by hand and eye on a bench grinder - no need for a tool and cutter grinder that might be the most expensive tool in your shop. Can't do that with milling cutters.

Thanks Paul. HSS will leave a nicer finish but if you have some roughing work give the carbide a try. I have always read and prob quoted that you can't use carbide on a shaper. Well that myth was wrong too...Bob
Lies and half truths perpetrated by those CNC mill guys nodoubt.

Back