SBL10 Looking for parts

Inkman

Registered
Registered
This was accidentally posted in the wrong machine forum, so I am reposting it here in the correct forum.

Hello all, new here and hoping to find some help with some parts I need.

I came across a 1945 SB 10L for free except for hauling it. Yes it is pretty worn out on the ways and cross slide but still free. It also came with a large set of colletts, aloris tool holder. Two cushman 3 jaws and one Buck Chuck Adjust Tru, two thread dials, several carraige stops and a huge assortment of gears. So just the chucks alone is a major score.

I am nearly done is a full restore, everything has been brought to bare metal. All the typical wicks etc replaced. But now I am at the point I need to address the major problems to make it a functional lathe. (I will post pics below)

Major issues
Both gibs for the cross slide and compound are so far gone I cannot advance them enough to take the play out. Not sure if it is a combination of gib and dove tail wear since I do not have specs on the gib to measure. My hope is to find someone selling new gibs or willing to make some, or attempt at trying to shim them. Anything to atleast get the majority of the play out for now. Down the road I would like to either have the compound and cross slide resurfaced so I can try my hand at scraping or find less worn saddle and compound.

Next major issue is the pinion gear for the rack, completely worn out and needs to be replaced. I do not have access to a mill or I would purchase shaftinf and the gear and press fit with a pin. My hope is someone has one for sale. Next on the saddle is the key for the worm, actually I need the entire worm assembly but I can do with just a key replacement for now.

Next major problem is the gear box, the machine is a single tumbler and finding a replacement seems impossible, there is plenty of double tumblers but no single tumblers in the market. All mine really needs is two of the bores to be machined and bushed, but again no access to a mill for that. I may source having a machinist do that job for me.

Those are pretty much the parts I am need of. Gibs and pinion being the most important. If anyone has any old parts that are in decent shape or good advice on hos to deal with the gibs my self please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 36
  • websitesmail.att.com.jpg
    websitesmail.att.com.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 35
Give Ted a shout. He’s a great guy to deal with. If he doesn’t have the part you are looking for, he may be able to point you in the right direction. Latheman2@aol.com

I'm jealous. I had to build my 10L from random parts.

I think the double tumbler and the single tumbler might be interchangeable. If you want to know for sure, shoot some measurements (e.g. shaft sizes, locations, etc from the top of the ways) and we'll compare the numbers.

This was accidentally posted in the wrong machine forum, so I am reposting it here in the correct forum.

Hello all, new here and hoping to find some help with some parts I need.

I came across a 1945 SB 10L for free except for hauling it. Yes it is pretty worn out on the ways and cross slide but still free. It also came with a large set of colletts, aloris tool holder. Two cushman 3 jaws and one Buck Chuck Adjust Tru, two thread dials, several carraige stops and a huge assortment of gears. So just the chucks alone is a major score.

I am nearly done is a full restore, everything has been brought to bare metal. All the typical wicks etc replaced. But now I am at the point I need to address the major problems to make it a functional lathe. (I will post pics below)

Major issues
Both gibs for the cross slide and compound are so far gone I cannot advance them enough to take the play out. Not sure if it is a combination of gib and dove tail wear since I do not have specs on the gib to measure. My hope is to find someone selling new gibs or willing to make some, or attempt at trying to shim them. Anything to atleast get the majority of the play out for now. Down the road I would like to either have the compound and cross slide resurfaced so I can try my hand at scraping or find less worn saddle and compound.

Next major issue is the pinion gear for the rack, completely worn out and needs to be replaced. I do not have access to a mill or I would purchase shaftinf and the gear and press fit with a pin. My hope is someone has one for sale. Next on the saddle is the key for the worm, actually I need the entire worm assembly but I can do with just a key replacement for now.

Next major problem is the gear box, the machine is a single tumbler and finding a replacement seems impossible, there is plenty of double tumblers but no single tumblers in the market. All mine really needs is two of the bores to be machined and bushed, but again no access to a mill for that. I may source having a machinist do that job for me.

Those are pretty much the parts I am need of. Gibs and pinion being the most important. If anyone has any old parts that are in decent shape or good advice on hos to deal with the gibs my self please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike
I put a brass shim behind the gib on my crossslide, about 9" X 1/2" X 1/64". I cut a notch in the shim to fit around the adjustment screw head at the end of the crossslide. The "K&S Metals" shim I used came from a hobby shop.

Back