Schaublin 70 TR, turret maintenance

bpudney

Registered
Registered
Hi there, I recently bought a Schaublin 70 TR. I have a few issues with the turret, so does anyone have any idea if there was ever a manual published for the setting up and maintenance of these units.

The issues I have are
1/ The 6 adjustment screws with locknuts at the right hand end of the turret should control the range of movement for the tool position concerned I believe. On mine, at least for tool positions 1 and 2 they seem to have no effect. It was over 40 degrees C in the shed which is why I didn't try tool positions 3 to 6 inc.
2/ The lever which advances and retracts the turret, should activate the indexing of the turret at full movement to the right. On mine there is a part movement and the turret is left between two positions.

The whole machine appears to have been well maintained throughout it's life, but I'm wondering if the turret could be suffering from old and heavy grease restricting movement. All the movements feel free and smooth, but very heavy, as in heavy grease, not high friction metal to metal. At the moment I think I should remove the turret and have a look at the workings to see whats going on. Hence my original question. Does anyone have any ideas??
cheers
Bill

Immediately after starting this thread, I finally managed to get on to the Yahoo Schaublin group. On there I found a GA of a Schaublin 70 Turret. Very soon after I understood my problems.
It was obvious that the correct adjuster screw for tool movement control, was the lower one, not the top one as I had assumed.
The lever which moves the turret back and forwards, requires (relatively) careful setting up, to achieve turret indexing.
So, for now all problems seem to be resolved!
So the motto would appear to be "stay calm and carry on"!!
cheers
Bill

Back