Science fiction

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
There have been quite a few references to various science authors and themes amongst the many messages so I just wondered how many of us still read the stuff and who your favourite authors are.
I learnt to read around the age of 4 with science fiction and have kept the addiction going my whole life.
In my early teens it was Robert Heinlein, Issac Asimov, Arther C Clarke, Brian Aldiss, Poul Anderson and Clifford Simak, late teens it was frank Herbert, Hal Clement, E C Tubb and of course Phillip K Dick with subscriptions to Galaxy, Analogue and If (I still have my collection of these pulps)
There have been so many throughout all the following years that its impossible to recall them all but I'm still avidly devouring them as I come upon them obtaining that sense of wonder and thought provoking ideas.
Such as Neil Asher, Peter Hamilton, and on and on and on.
Yes, I am addicted and have been all my life.

I also read Sci fi I am in to the dragons and such at this time. Have been reading more and more on a tablet and purchase less paper or I would have no place to put them. I have done reading and due to jobs Ive had I did more technical reading at times than I like. But have now gravitated back to the SCI FI again.

Savarin, My history is pretty much identical to yours. I've been collecting books since I was a kid. For space reasons (no pun intended) they've always been paper backs so some of them can barely be opened without them breaking now. :) I'm a little saddened that Hard Sci Fi is so hard to come by, but it's been getting better in recent years. Fantasy nearly took over everything. I should admit I read that too though. :)

I cant stick Game of thrones, even more so the tv series but he wrote a book I really enjoyed many years ago called Tuff Voyaging.

[QUOTE="savarin, post: 538032, member: 17861" I really enjoyed many years ago called [Tuf] Voyaging.[/QUOTE]

Other good writing on the ecoscience frontier is Janet Kagan's Mirabile.
Consider Larry Niven, Charles Stross, John Barnes, and Ken MacLeod, too;
thought-provoking is the watchword.

...but sometimes I just reread E. E. "Doc" Smith

I've subscribed to Analog magazine continuously since I was introduced to it in the early 70's.

Pretty much all the big names in straight SciFi, and a couple in the Dragons/Fantasy genre. I've got a fairly complete collection of Heinlein and Spider Robinson in paperback.

...but sometimes I just reread E. E. "Doc" Smith

Doc Smith's Lensman series is what turned me on to SciFi originally. I would read each installment in a marathon sitting, couldn't get enough of it.

I tried re-reading it a while back but I guess my tastes have changed, couldn't get back into it.

I have recently subscribed to Audible and started listening to science fiction on the drive to works - I have a 70 mile round trip to and from work on my own each day so it help to pass the time. They seem to have a good selection of science fiction - classics and new stuff.

Although at present I just couldn't help re-listening to the original 1970's BBC radio version of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, so not very hard core science fiction.

I started with Jules Vern, H.G.Wells, and Lovecraft. To this day when I know I'm going to be in a waiting room somewhere I always bring a book with me.
My parents and grandparents read to me as I child. Peter Pan, Oz, and J.R.R. Tolkien. On the radio, on Saturday nights there was the GE Mystery Theater, reruns of the Shadow and Flash Gorden and Buck Rodgers.
Books top movies in my opinion.You exercise your mind when you read. Watching a movie leaves no room for your imagination.
**G**

Due to constant moving in the AF I got rid of most of my books with each move. Then got into reading on tablet, but like Grumpygator I always take a some reading with them to the DOC, etc. I also get to work early so read before work, and prior to going to bed most nights.
Gave my original Tolkien set to my daughter a few years ago as she got into reading them. Now she even reads all my electronic books as I finish them.

Back