?Scissors?

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
Two of my neighbors down the road have 'Groj Sails' going on today. So I walked down a few houses and took a look. No tools but I did see the pair of scissors shown below. I was told they were antique and old (same thing right) so I thought, "How much do they want for these?". Well it was 50 cents. So since the wife uses scissor all the time in sewing and crafts I thought, "Why not?" and bought them.

They logo says 'Old Glory Cutlery 2'

And Germany is stamped on the other side.

I figure they were made for sale in the UK or US since the verbiage is in English.

Anytime I purchase something I like to know more about it. Well these elude me, after a preliminary search on the internet I couldn't find much about them.(Read that as nothing). I did find this pair of 'Solingen' scissors on an antique site listed as made between 1900-1940 with an auction price of $99.00 (don't really care as I don't buy antiques usually and am not a collector).

They look very much alike so I figure same time period applies...maybe. Approximately 6 3/4" long, cut very well (after clean up and sharpening) and will be useful to my wife I'm sure.

Anyone know about this brand or have a wife/girlfriend who sews and might know?

Don't know about the brand, but the overall pattern (with the heavy blade on the bottom) I believe is typical of a tailor or dressmaker shear. Not used for detail work, (read buttonholes, zipper openings, etc) but rather for cutting large sections of fabric from the bolt and general cutting of yard goods. The bottom blade is blunted so it skims along the table surface as you cut, but doesn't dig in.

-frank

very cool find!
my grandfather ( dad's dad) was a jack of many trades, one of them being a amature barber.
he passed down 3 pairs of haircutting scissors, i don't know the manufacturer's name but they are German made.
they are quite antique, but amazingly they are still very sharp- i have heard of them being sharpened ever.

Solingen is a well known name in cutlery, knives, swords, etc. I would treasure anything with the name on it. Made to last forever.

Don't know about the brand, but the overall pattern (with the heavy blade on the bottom) I believe is typical of a tailor or dressmaker shear. Not used for detail work, (read buttonholes, zipper openings, etc) but rather for cutting large sections of fabric from the bolt and general cutting of yard goods. The bottom blade is blunted so it skims along the table surface as you cut, but doesn't dig in.

-frank

Thank you all for the info. Never would have figured them for tailor shears though I did think sewing scissors without thinking how a sewer (wife) would use them.

Well I have a bit of an edge (yuk, yuk) as I come from a fair line of seamstresses. My grandmother apprenticed as a Dressmaker in Austria during the 1920's and stayed a seamstress all her life. I recognized the shear pattern as similar to a pair she had, although hers were a bit smaller I think.

She also had this gadget -- as far as we can determine it is a small stamp that she would have used to mark her goods (that she would set aside for a customer's outfit, say) in the dress shop. The initials "HZ" are her first and last name respectively. The stamp is made from a small stump of what might be linden or bass wood which is very common over there. The letters are hand formed and then pressed into the end grain of the little stump. There a little flower in the stamp too which I find quite adorable (no, no Irish connection at all!). Anyhow, in use you would dip the stamp into your little dish of tailors chalk, then stamp your mark on the corner of your yard goods. Nobody else would use that material that you had set aside then. In the second photo you can still see the faint remnants of the powder blue tailors chalk on the edges of the letters. The whole thing is about half the length of a wine cork.

At least that's how we figure it was used. She's long gone and we only found this when we were going through my mom's things after she passed away. So, nobody to ask anymore :frown:

Enjoy your find, and think of of the strong and careful fingers as they worked at their machines.

-frank

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Well I have a bit of an edge (yuk, yuk) as I come from a fair line of seamstresses. My grandmother apprenticed as a Dressmaker in Austria during the 1920's and stayed a seamstress all her life. I recognized the shear pattern as similar to a pair she had, although hers were a bit smaller I think.

She also had this gadget -- as far as we can determine it is a small stamp that she would have used to mark her goods (that she would set aside for a customer's outfit, say) in the dress shop. The initials "HZ" are her first and last name respectively. The stamp is made from a small stump of what might be linden or bass wood which is very common over there. The letters are hand formed and then pressed into the end grain of the little stump. There a little flower in the stamp too which I find quite adorable (no, no Irish connection at all!). Anyhow, in use you would dip the stamp into your little dish of tailors chalk, then stamp your mark on the corner of your yard goods. Nobody else would use that material that you had set aside then. In the second photo you can still see the faint remnants of the powder blue tailors chalk on the edges of the letters. The whole thing is about half the length of a wine cork.

At least that's how we figure it was used. She's long gone and we only found this when we were going through my mom's things after she passed away. So, nobody to ask anymore :frown:

Enjoy your find, and think of of the strong and careful fingers as they worked at their machines.

-frank

View attachment 240536 View attachment 240535
My wife explained to me that when she worked for Pendleton Woolen Mills they used a tag to mark the material. That way when they made a shirt, each shirt would be made out of the same dye lot material. She's not sure, but that could be one use that your grandmother used it for.

Back