Scored a cross slide for a taper attachment today!!

Terrywerm

Registered
Registered
Scored a new to me cross slide for my Logan 200 today. My 200 has the older style compound mount, so finding a cross slide for a taper attachment for it is really difficult. They seem to be as rare as hen's teeth! I've been looking for one for four or five years now, and I've only seen one before this, but was unable to purchase it at that time due to being laid off. So, I just couldn't let this one get away. I can build the rest of the parts for a taper attachment, but the cross slide is the tough part to come up with. At least now I have one!!

taper attachment.jpg

Now it's just a matter of waiting!! :ups: Once it arrives I can start in earnest on the rest of the taper attachment, which I need for a couple of projects that have been on hold for a while because of the need to turn some long tapers.

taper attachment.jpg

Nice score!

Is this from your hardware store? :jester::rofl: j/k

Nope. eBay! I was at the hardware store today... they reduced the size of the area for the welding stuff and they no longer carry the carbons, but the owner says he did sell two sets of them when he still had them. Naturally, he told me he can get them for me if I need some, so I had to tell him the whole story!

Nope. eBay! I was at the hardware store today... they reduced the size of the area for the welding stuff and they no longer carry the carbons, but the owner says he did sell two sets of them when he still had them. Naturally, he told me he can get them for me if I need some, so I had to tell him the whole story!

Yeah, I figured so.

I might try 7 corners. They seem to have everything. That is when I can get over that way.

Scored a new to me cross slide for my Logan 200 today. My 200 has the older style compound mount, so finding a cross slide for a taper attachment for it is really difficult. They seem to be as rare as hen's teeth! I've been looking for one for four or five years now, and I've only seen one before this, but was unable to purchase it at that time due to being laid off. So, I just couldn't let this one get away. I can build the rest of the parts for a taper attachment, but the cross slide is the tough part to come up with. At least now I have one!! View attachment 59546 Now it's just a matter of waiting!! :ups: Once it arrives I can start in earnest on the rest of the taper attachment, which I need for a couple of projects that have been on hold for a while because of the need to turn some long tapers.
Packed it up tonight ..... in the mail tomorrow. Thanks!

Oh wow!! I never thought of it maybe being sold by a member of the forum here - small world!

Anyway, I've been looking for one of these for about five years now - and I saw ONE about four years ago but could not afford to purchase then. I've seen a few of the newer style, but they will not work on the older style lathe from what I am told. No rush on getting it here, after waiting patiently for this long a few more days certainly will not matter. Besides, now I have to build the rest of the taper attachment before it will really do me any good. I am just happy to have one on the way. I was considering making a slotted link that would attach to the cross slide using the two #10 screws that normally attach the chip shield, but somehow I just don't think that those two little screws would be up to the job, especially when they would be handling the load in shear.

Anyway, thanks for putting it up for sale!

Terry

Are you going to do a build thread on your taper attachment?

I am glad you asked, because I am most certainly planning on it. But, it may be a little while yet, as I have been working on setting up my new shop space in the basement. Problem is that part of the basement wall has failed and needs to be dug out and redone first. Working with the insurance company on that right now. Once that is done, then work on the shop will continue, and I hope to have it done by Thanksgiving or maybe sooner if my work schedule eases up. Once I am into my new space I can get started in earnest on some projects, including the building of a taper attachment. My attachment plan thus far is similar to the one that was published in Popular Mechanics sometime in 1962, but with some things done a bit differently.

Once the cross slide arrives and is installed, I can start the design phase of the project, working on that on rainy days, etc. Once the design is complete I'll order any necessary materials so that they are here and ready to go when I am ready to get started. I will share photos, plans, and the actual build.

I might need to outsource some work on one part of the attachment, namely a bar that will need to be surface ground to be sure that it is straight and true. I suppose I shall just have to wait and see though.

Back