Scored a Surface Grinder

Plas62

Active User
Registered
I headed out Friday morning to St. Petersburg, FL to pickup a surface grinder, I found on Craigslist. It's an older 120 vac Central Machinery benchtop model with a magnetic chuck for $400. It's an 8 hour drive each way, but I thought it was worth the drive, a new unit similar to this one from Enco without a mag chuck is going for $2,500.00.

I made it back home by about 9:30 a.m. Saturday morning and had the surface grinder unloaded and setup on the stand by 12:30 p.m.

This morning I clean and lubed it and got the "One Shot Lube System" back in operation. I ground one side of a piece of scrap steel I had and it worked pretty good. The guy I bought it from could not find the spanner wrenches for changing the stone. I guess I will end up ordering the wrenches from Grizzly. I found the manual for mine on the web and downloaded the manual for the small grizzly surface grinder and the look to be the same unit. The Grizzly manual has a lot better information in it.

Here's a couple of pic's

DSCF26401_zpsd1af0d12.jpg

DSCF26411_zps99b93811.jpg

Sweet little SG and the One Shot lube unit is a pleasant surprise.

Does this SG take the "standard" wheel adapter? That would be one with a 3" per foot taper with the large end measuring 1" and made for a wheel which has a 1-1/4" hole.
If so I may have an extra wheel adapter wrench for it.

Good score! A SG is great addition to the shop...

Ray

PS: (Please consider a dust collector for the sake of your lungs).

Nice score. You will love having a surface grinder.

Jeff

Excellent find, congratulations!

I would love to find something similar.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I hope you have many great years and projects together!

brino

Senna - I believe it is as you described. The SG takes a 7" x 1-1/4" x 1/2" wheel. I would be intrested, please send me a PM if you have it availbe.

Thanks
Jim

Darn how did I miss that. Oh well. You should of stoped by and said hi.

Senna - I believe it is as you described. The SG takes a 7" x 1-1/4" x 1/2" wheel. I would be intrested, please send me a PM if you have it availbe.

Thanks
Jim

PM sent.

Back