Scored Punch Press

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Got a mechanical punch press yesterday. No model number on machine but according to pictures on internet I think it is a Whitney Jensen 129, 10 ton. That also agrees with serial number which is 129596555.

I used a punch press one time when I was in high school (40+ years ago)when I took a short part time job. Other than that My experience and knowledge of them is nil. I never would have thought I needed one of these but because of the price ($100) and the uniqueness of having one, I succumbed. It appears to be in good condition and I've punched a couple of holes in 18 gauge steel with the 1 1/4" die set that is in it. The other plus is that it is 110 volt.

So, I'm looking for a little more info. I have a range of dies from 1/8-1 3/8 round, plus a 5/16 square and 1/8 x 3/8 oval. What can I expect as to thickness of mild steel and diameter that this will punch? Also I've looked at safety concerns on the web but what other than sticking my fingers under the punch could hurt me?

Aaron in Iron Mountain MI

DSCF3628.JPG

DSCF3626.JPG

DSCF3625.JPG

DSCF3624.JPG

DSCF3623.JPG

.....for $100 I would "succumb" too.
Great deal!

I guess some other dangers could be shattering dies if they are too hard, cracked, or misaligned(top and bottom).

-brino

Nice score. You shouldn't have much problem using "bought" punches and dies. Never let safety leave your mind while using. I've seen guys forget to remove bars used to rotate the mechanism while setting up and starting the machine.Other things to keep in mind, which all seem like common sense are:
Be sure your punch and die are secure and perfectly lined up. If they are in a dieset, it's not an issue.
Don't go deeper with the punch than necessary to punch the hole.
Be sure to cycle your setup through be hand to make sure everything is in line and you have the proper depth set.
Absolutely make certain that there is clearance for the slugs that are being punched to drop out of the die.
Add a stripper plate to you setups to strip the punch from the material.
The material you can punch will depend a lot on the clearance you have in the punch and die. If I remember correctly, the Strippit press we had had 2 dies for each punch. One had .006 clearance for thinner material, and the other was .012 for thicker stock. You an look up reccommended clearances for the material you are punching and the hole diameter.
I still have a kick press, a foot operated punch press that can do some cool stuff.
Have fun, be inventive, and stay safe.

Last edited:
Make no adjustments to the set up while machine is powered up. Do not get any body parts between die while machine is powered up. If it's not already, wire machine so two hands are required to actuate the ram.............Bob

I agree totally, for the price of the motor you have a very nice piece there.

I was taught that the die clearance should be 5% of the thickness of the material being punched (per side). For the average home shop, I cannot imagine a more worthless addition, so far as usefulness is concerned, no matter how cheap it might be; likely, it will just take up space, I speak from experience, I had a 12 ton Niagara once upon a time in my commercial shop, never found a use for it, finally traded it away to a machinery dealer.

I was taught that the die clearance should be 5% of the thickness of the material being punched (per side). For the average home shop, I cannot imagine a more worthless addition, so far as usefulness is concerned, no matter how cheap it might be; likely, it will just take up space, I speak from experience, I had a 12 ton Niagara once upon a time in my commercial shop, never found a use for it, finally traded it away to a machinery dealer.

Sad to say but I have to agree. The 10 ton I had I traded even up for a Bader belt grinder. That was the most useful thing that press ever did for me................Bob

That was a fantastic deal, that belt grinder, wish I had one ---- ! I had a Square Wheel belt grinder at my shop, had to leave it behind when I sold the place; I can go there and use it if I need to.

Well, I hope to use it at least a $100 worth! It's not taking up room in my shop because I put it in the 'shop annex', which is a 10x30 roof overhang along side the shop. It's so much nicer to work outside, especially for grinding, cleaning and other dirty jobs.

It came with about 40 lbs. of dies and punches of at least 3 different sizes but only has a holder plate that fits 3 of them so that will be the 1st order of business.

From posts I received here and disassembly I've basically learned how to 'set up'.

Nice score.
I still have a kick press, a foot operated punch press that can do some cool stuff.
Have fun, be inventive, and stay safe.

Mind mentioning some of that 'cool stuff'?

Attached a few pics of install and annex.

Thanks for all replies!
Aaron

DSCF3634.JPG

DSCF3633.JPG

DSCF3632.JPG

DSCF3631.JPG

Back