Scrap Drill Gets New Lease On Life

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
This is kind of a mini POTD. As long as I had the torch out, I decided to salvage an old 5/8 carbide
tipped drill I got in a box of rusty machine tools. Someone must have needed a 1/2 inch carbide
bit as the end was machined down to 0.5 and was damaged beyond any possible use. The
shank was relatively soft so I cut off the narrow part and used a slitting saw to make a spot for
a new tip. As luck would have it, I remembered some carbide drill bit tips that were laying unused
in my carbides box. Sure enough, it was 5/8 inch. After fitting the carbide tip, I silver soldered
the tip in place. The day before I had made a small vee block and that was handy to hold the drill
in the mill vise to saw the groove. A small project, yes but will come in handy when I want to do
some drilling in some hard metals.

untitled.png

Last edited:
I'm never lucky enough to have a pice of unubtainium in my junk box when I need it. Good job
I see you have a Henrob 2000. I finally dug mine out to play with.

View attachment 124236
I'm never lucky enough to have a pice of unubtainium in my junk box when I need it. Good job
I see you have a Henrob 2000. I finally dug mine out to play with.

I like to have a few small carbide pieces so have collected a few from E-Bay to have for special applications.
I use the Henrob 2000 exclusively for gas welding and brazing. Apparently the company has changed hands
as I recall an old name of Dillon 2000 and now a new name of Cobra DHC 2000. Tips are quite expensive I see
at about 20 dollars each. I use the torch along with Stay-Silv flux and silver solder to braze on carbides on
lathe bits and boring bars and milling tools and the like. That way one can almost instantly have a tool repaired
or fabricated to one's liking and not to have to wait for delivery of an expensive tool.

Back