Scrap to useful.

Hawkeye, That is awesome! That s the vision I am talking about. Love the Tangential tool holder as well.

Like others have mentioned, if it weren't for scrap steel, I wouldn't have any steel at all! Well, not much anyway...

Nothing within light years of that QCTP tho!

Here is something else I made from some srap. It was the cutoff of a propshaft given to me. 316 that he was going to throw out. Obviously no clue what he had. I was having problems truing up a hub from a 42 Ford pickup with a brake drum that had the hub still on. The customer didn t want to pay me to remove the hub. I couldn t get comfortable with the cast clamping so I made a tapered mandrel with a taper of .9985" to 1.001" so I could use the bearing journals and true up the drum. I made spacers so I could position it where i wanted for either have drive with a press fit or a slight clearance fit depending where I would locate it on the shaft. image.jpeg I used the boss of that disk and the bushing on the shaft for the drum. Also made the lathe alignment tool from it.

I have some made from scrap QCTP holders. Two are from a 350 chevy crankshaft and an aluminum one cast from soda cans.

The knurling holder is probably 4 or 5 years old and like lots of projects for myself not quite finished. It gets to the usable stage and well.....I guess that's the important part.
It's from a main throw in the crankshaft, the hole is the hollow that is in the connecting rod journal. The knurling arms are from a road grader (some say patrol) blade (D2H steel).
The cut off holder is cast iron from the same crankshaft. Dovetail cut for the blade and has brass inserts under the blade hold down bolts.
The aluminum holder was cast from a tool holder as practice. To do a better job the tool holder used to cast from needs to be larger so there is material left for final machining.
A square bar was added on the bottom and I use it with a 90 deg piece of plastic to file checkering on the end of pieces in the lathe.
20181210_094329.jpg20181210_094355.jpg

I have some made from scrap QCTP holders. Two are from a 350 chevy crankshaft and an aluminum one cast from soda cans.

The knurling holder is probably 4 or 5 years old and like lots of projects for myself not quite finished. It gets to the usable stage and well.....I guess that's the important part.
It's from a main throw in the crankshaft, the hole is the hollow that is in the connecting rod journal. The knurling arms are from a road grader (some say patrol) blade (D2H steel).
The cut off holder is cast iron from the same crankshaft. Dovetail cut for the blade and has brass inserts under the blade hold down bolts.
The aluminum holder was cast from a tool holder as practice. To do a better job the tool holder used to cast from needs to be larger so there is material left for final machining.
A square bar was added on the bottom and I use it with a 90 deg piece of plastic to file checkering on the end of pieces in the lathe.
View attachment 281997View attachment 281998

That is creative use of some unusual material. I would have never thought of a piece of a crankshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caddy, the original clamping method, as seen in the photos above, is a setscrew leading in from the tip of the clamping wedge.
P1021241a.jpg

I later changed to a cam-lock method, operated by the modified bolt seen on the top of the block.
P1191261a.jpg

For reference, the toolholder body is held to the compound with a very substantial split post and tightened by a tapered bolt being drawn upward to spread the four sections of the post.
PC301224a.jpg

Back