Scrap Wood Cutting Boards

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I'm making a lot of the gifts i'm giving out for Christmas this year
on this installment, i decided to make cutting/serving boards from found scrap wood
it started with a broken 1-1/2" thick pallet oak board

IMG_4914.jpg
i cut the bard and joined the edges
sent it through the wood planer to get good looking wood on both sides
i glued the 2 board halves together with Titebond 3 waterproof glue into a trapezoidal plank
after pondering the next move, it occurred to me that it could easily be shaped into a cleaver-like looking cutting board !
i laid out a crude handle and made the cuts
i used a small hand planer to relieve the corners and sanded to 220Grit
here you go, in the unfinished state

IMG_4913.jpg

the cutting board had some checking on the far end
I cross drilled 2mm and added stabilizing dowels
i'll finish the oak cutting board with food safe light mineral oil before i'm done

i was working on finishing this cutting board,
when i stumbled upon a piece of construction fir i found last week
the board had been ripped such that left a feature much like a real cleaver blade, but at a different angle

IMG_4910.jpg

seeing this, left little doubt as to what it would be transformed into....

i took the oak cutting board and transferred the tracing to this fir board
and made the cut out
i used a propane torch to char the fir, then nocked the char down with 120 grit sandpaper- and finished with 220 grit sandpaper

IMG_4908.jpgIMG_4907.jpg
this serving board was finished with food safe light mineral oil

the next serving board was constructed for the same piece of lumber, although it looks a bit different
this one was finished with beeswax

IMG_4911.jpg

note, the cleaver like knife edge !

IMG_4912.jpg

due to some deep character cracking in the board, i cross drilled 2 3/8" holes and added glue and dowels to stabilize the serving board
then i added a wood burned message on the serving board for laughs

as always thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Clever cleaver... ;)

Nice solid handle on there -- every time I think about cutting / serving boards I'm reminded of one such Christmas when the boyfriend of one of my sisters gave one as a gift to my mother. It was a large thing -- about the size of a silver serving tray -- and had two handles on the ends so as you could carry your prize offering to the table. Well she did just that with the Christmas turkey except for halfway there one of handles let go ... Turkey and all went skittering across the floor in a scene straight out of Fawlty Towers! Too funny.

-f

Clever cleaver... ;)

Nice solid handle on there -- every time I think about cutting / serving boards I'm reminded of one such Christmas when the boyfriend of one of my sisters gave one as a gift to my mother. It was a large thing -- about the size of a silver serving tray -- and had two handles on the ends so as you could carry your prize offering to the table. Well she did just that with the Christmas turkey except for halfway there one of handles let go ... Turkey and all went skittering across the floor in a scene straight out of Fawlty Towers! Too funny.

-f
Thanks Frank!
I always seem to over-engineer stuff I’m working on, so I don’t look like a moron!
Sometimes it actually works!!!!

those look awesome, I'm sure the receivers will love them. I love a nice thick chopping board, plenty of weight to it so it doesn't move around. One thing I really like on one of mine is a groove around the edge on the top, helps trap juices when you're cutting up a roast.

those look awesome, I'm sure the receivers will love them. I love a nice thick chopping board, plenty of weight to it so it doesn't move around. One thing I really like on one of mine is a groove around the edge on the top, helps trap juices when you're cutting up a roast.
Thank you Matt!!
I have ideas for a deluxe cutting board , soon to make premiere!!!

stay tuned!!!!!

I'm going to put a damper on your project. I like what you did, but!!
You never know where a pallet has been. It could have been moving chemicals., anything could have spilled on the wood.

I use wood that is virgin or that I know what it did previously.

sorry to be a downer..

I'm going to put a damper on your project. I like what you did, but!!
You never know where a pallet has been. It could have been moving chemicals., anything could have spilled on the wood.

I use wood that is virgin or that I know what it did previously.

sorry to be a downer..
Thank you for your concern!
The oak pallet stored a forklift counter weight for about 5 years until it’s disposal last week
No chemicals were stored on or around it
The counter weights sat on dunnage stacked on the pallet

the fir was construction scrap not pressure treated

Back