Scrap Yard Metals

Billh50

RIP 2018
Rest In Peace
There are some salvageable metals in a scrap yard. Most are hardened and will need to be drawn down to machine. Here is a list I came across and thought I would post it again.

Attachments

• JunkYard Steels.pdf
    112.6 KB · Views: 140
Thanks for posting that, Bill...it will definitely come in handy for sure :encourage:

I've only been using "scrapyard" metal if I'm in a pinch anymore as I never seem to know what the heck I'm (trying) to work with....sometimes the tool bits & end mills take an awful beating before I figure it all out.

Frustrating when you're all chucked up & ready to make chips fly only to find out that the metal is harder than Japanese arithmetic.... :(

well most of the stuff in that pdf is hardened so awhile in the fire will help.

Reactions: TTD
A friend (since passed of pancreatic cancer) made me a forge from a freon cylinder. It get hot faster that fake money!! It is my go to tool to make heat.

Last edited:
Right now I have an axle "soaking" red hot in the wood fire. Did the same last night and got a nice piece of (1040?) out this morning. Turned like 12L14 (not really) but good enough and the price was right.

I have an unlimited supply of free axles from a friend who has an Auto repair shop.

Great info Bill, Im always working with mystery metal.

Greg

used mostly scrap metal, bars, weight bars, diamond plate...

its got rust...

Charl

Scrap yard aside, it will sure help me sort through my scrap pile, thanks!

Back