Scrapers

dlane

Active User
Registered
got these scrapers with a bunch of other stuff , any body have pic of handle for them .image.jpg Thanks sorry they are upside down

Thanks think I'll go back and look for a biax

the blades can also be made to fit a hand made scraper shaft too with a little forethought.
for example you can make a 14- 18" long scraper shaft (or longer or shorter for that matter),
find the center line, and sink 2 threaded holes in the scraper shaft either 1/4-20 or M6, strategically spaced as to capture the fork of the scraper blade.
with the use of a couple capture washers and a ready made file handle.
assemble the critter, sharpen as necessary and Scrape Away!!!

i wish the best of luck!
mike

That accessory pack is not a cheap item to buy new. I've priced it before, it's up north of $1200!!!
Luckily, the Biax I bought used had one included.

Do you know if they are the thick ones, or the thin ones? The thick ones have a shank about 1/8", the thin about 1/16 or so. The thin ones seem to work better, they flex a little, which seems to help a bit. I have a set of the thick ones, and I purchased a couple of the thin ones to use with my Biax scraper (as stated earlier, they are not cheap). I was thinking about making a handle to use the thick ones as hand scrapers. I was planning on making a thin handle, so that it would flex, and allow the same type of action as the thin scraper blades. It would have to be made of a high carbon steel and hardened, otherwise it would just deform. I was thinking about 4140 PH, since it is readily available, and still machineable. Good luck.

The thicker blade holders can be thinned on the mill. They are not that hard. About 36 RC. I machine that most of the time in my shop. I have both thin and thick blades. I'm used to using the thicker ones once you get to know how to make them cut right.

Hi all, I talked to seller and he's going to let me know next time he's at house with tooling( his late farthers house)
I'm going to try and find biax scraper unit that goes with scrapers should be able to get it for about $50. and I'm sure I'll find other items to buy that I'll never use. Last time I was there a corner of shop roof had been leeking and a milk crate full of new jacobs super chucks 16-18n were all rusted up and frozen along with albrights " sorry for spelling"
No telling what I'll find this time ,wish I knew more about this stuff as I'm sure im missing some good items.
Thanks
Derrick

If you can get a Biax power scraper for $50, my hat is off to you. I paid 600 for mine, and feel like I got a good deal. They typically go for somewhere between 600 and 1200, depending on model accessories, and condition. I've seen non working ones go for more than $50.

:+1: on what cjtoombs said!

you are a better man than i am if you can find a working unit for $50.
i got lucky and found a non functioning unit for $25 a few months back, but i should stress that i GOT EXTREMELY LUCKY!!!!
not to say that you can't be lucky too,
but don't expect too much when dealing in luck, as luck is fleeting at best.

Back