Scraping Class in GA-Anybody interested?

The scraping class is going to be held on the first weekend in April which is April 5,6, & 7. The class will be held in Pine Mountain, GA and the host is Tom Brooks. If you you have your own hand and/or power scrapers you can bring those with you to use at the class, but if not we can work around that. You can also bring along a project to work on. Based on the feed back that I got, most people are more interested in doing a 3 day class. Is anyone interested in doing 5 days? What are your specific interests? Richard will need to know so he can plan what to teach. If you have any questions or want to attend you can contact me, Tom, or Richard.

Thanks,
Craig
craigsudderth@rocketmail.com

The scraping class is going to be held on the first weekend in April which is April 5,6, & 7. The class will be held in Pine Mountain, GA and the host is Tom Brooks. If you you have your own hand and/or power scrapers you can bring those with you to use at the class, but if not we can work around that. You can also bring along a project to work on. Based on the feed back that I got, most people are more interested in doing a 3 day class. Is anyone interested in doing 5 days? What are your specific interests? Richard will need to know so he can plan what to teach. If you have any questions or want to attend you can contact me, Tom, or Richard.

Thanks,
Craig
craigsudderth@rocketmail.com

First, I don't have any scraping tools. What specifically should I buy? I would like to start out with a hand scraper. Second, a three day class is best for me. I am only one person, though. Third, I have an older mill and lathe. I want to know how to make them the best that they can be at this point in their service lives. I know that they may not be "like new." I just want them serviceable.

If you do not have tool, no problem, I will bring everything you will need. With that said it would be handy if you have a hand scraper. I use the professional brand BIAX Universal made in Germany. I have students that copied them and made there own from steel they bought at Home Depot and MSC for under $50.00. To the people interested in a class PLEASE email The hosts or I. I will be calculating the price per student this weekend. We will E-mail you. I do not want to talk price on the Forum as I feel it violates the rules. So Email one of us or private message us. I will write a Post "how to make a scraper" soon. I also believe Home Machine Shop Magazine had a series on scraping too, where they described how to make one. I prefer you have flexible springy scraper with a carbide tip. I will write more later. I need to get to work. Have a great day! Rich

Re: Scraping Class in GA-IF interested sign up by Feb 15?

To all who live in the SE and want to learn how to scrape our deadline is Feb 15 for the GA. The class to is scheduled for a long weekend 30 to 36 hour class, April 5, 6 , 7th and a couple more days if enough want to stay a few more days rebuilding their machine with my supervision. Contact Craig, Tommy or me.

Thanks and see you there.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Scraping Class in GA-IF interested sign up by Feb 15?

To all who live in the SE and want to learn how to scrape our deadline is Feb 15 for the GA. The class to is scheduled for a long weekend 30 to 36 hour class, April 5, 6 , 7th and a couple more days if enough want to stay a few more days rebuilding their machine with my supervision. Contact Craig, Tommy or me.

Thanks and see you there.

Rich
I have a 1943 Southbend 10" lathe in which the compound and crossslide are loose in center of travel. If you tighten the gibs to stop chatter, then at the end of travel it is too tight. Would this class help someone learn to scrape the ways so as to solve this problem?

Tom

Dear Brooksie,

That would be the perfect thing to bring. In the Dallas weekend class I did a couple of years ago one of the students brought his South Bend saddle, cross-slide and compound slide with. After he learned to scrape on out test piece (I supply) , he started on his cross-slide. I brought several side straight-edges and some of the guys did too. I brought a small King-Way gauge and they had dowel pins and a set of mic's.

On Sunday when he left for home he had his rescraped cross slide saddle, cross-slide and gib fit and his compound practically fitted.

He worked his behind off, but with the help of another student who didn't have a project and my instruction we were able to do it. One thing I do is stop the class and have the students show and tell what they are doing. I have found over the years one learns better if he can show and tell to his new found friends. The class I taught in Ashland WI, 2 1/2 years ago they students write each other now and share their projects. I hope all my student can set up a network of new friends and share and teach the new generation of rebuilders I am creating. Rich

PS: That student is the one who coined the "he learned so much he felt he was drinking from a fire hose" ha ha

We have 3 students who have sent their down payment plus the host are ready to take the class. We need 3 more students to make it happen. If you want to learn how to scrape and live in the SE this will be the only class we will have there this year.
I have given the cut off date of Feb 15. To be a go / no go.

Rich

Re: Scraping Class in GA-......E-BAY AD

Hi again, I just thought let you look at the E-Bay Ad I have on the class.
Here is the Item number.

Richard: I have signed up for the GA class and was wondering when you would be able to get around to posting "How to make a scraper" that you referred to earlier.

thanks
bill a.

Bill,

Richard is sitting on a cruise ship for the next couple of weeks...

bob

Hi All,

Thanks Bill for helping answer....the ship is charging me .047 a min to write, I couldn't find an internet today in Dominica....but I will send the students an email on the scraper and discuss the class and progects when I return. It looks like we have 5 paid students as of now. We need one more and can take 4 more if any of you are sitting on the fence. If you look at the Iowa class payment schedule. I will work with you on payments, if you want to pay me in payments. I am concerned now about doing a class...and do not want to disappoint the guys who are signed up. It is so hot down here, I think I have sunstroke....lol...you poor folks on the east coast, I here Boston might get 3 feet of snow over the weekend.....OFDAH (MN talk, means oh sh_t (ha ha)!!

Even MN doesn't get 3 feet.....

Take care.
Rich

PS I will be back home next week. Tues...or Wed...

Back