Scraping Class in GA-Anybody interested?

Exactly WHAT kind of steel can you buy at Home Depot to make a scraping tool from? A file?

We now have 5 paid and the host for the class in GA April 5-7 . The host is Brooksie and CSudd who have written below. PM them .. We need 1 more student to make it happen, so if you sign up we can do the class.

We have room for 2 to 4 more students, so if you know anymore please tell them to write Brookie or CSudd. CS has his emial address below too.

Thanks,

Rich

How can you scrape in a cross slide without the whole lathe present and be at all sure that the cross slide will be perfectly aligned so that the lathe will face flat? I used to rebuild lathes. Also WHAT steel can you buy at Home Depot to make a scraper with??????? I'd really like an answer,please.

How can you scrape in a cross slide without the whole lathe present and be at all sure that the cross slide will be perfectly aligned so that the lathe will face flat? I used to rebuild lathes. Also WHAT steel can you buy at Home Depot to make a scraper with??????? I'd really like an answer,please.

It's easy, you follow the original signs from when the lathe was new. I use the original machined area's that are clearance surfaces now to guide me through the process. The area between ways or top of cross-slide that was machined or ground at the factory when the machine was build is not worn and you can use it as a guide to check parallelism, I also use the screw and many times the ways on the ends are not worn and you have to be a dectective to disover unworn area's to follow as a guide. One can scrape the top of the saddle ways parallel and when you go home you scrape the bottom of the saddle to the bed to square it to the travel of the bed. If the bed is worn you won't get it perfect, but it will be so much better then what it was before you did it. Many make the mistake and go hog wild rebuilding everything when all you need is a "tune-up".

Plan old bar stock to make the scraper. I use 3/16 x 1 1/8 x 18" long and you cut a tang on one end that looks like a file. Then I drill 2 holes in it to mount a Biax 30-150 carbide tipped blade to it. If you look at some of the pictures in the posts on this site you will see pictures of that scraper laying next to a Biax brand. Tadd who has a tread on rebuilding his South Bend lathe in this catagory shows a scraper he made by hand. I have had students use the same technique using Home Depot steel to make the handle and silver solder a carbide blade they bought from DAPRA, Sandvik or MSC to the end.

I have also been rebuilding lathes for over 40 years, taught at new machine builders in Taiwan, the USA and Turkey. I am and have been the USA DAPRA / USA BIAX Scraping Instructor for over 30 years. I have taught over 20,000 students in my 35+ years of teaching at 8 divisions of GM, Cumins, Timken, 6 USA government rebuild centers/shipyards, John Deere, G&L Machine, Hardinge, Drake CNC Grinder, dozens of new machine builders in Taiwan.
I can scrape and rebuild lathes, mills, grinders, CNC VMC, HMC, etc. etc.

I am not self taught, I was taught by my Dad, Herman Red King, the inventor of the King-Way Alignment gage and a lifetime machine rebuilder. I learned to scrape when I was 12 when my Dad would bring home Boyer Schultz and Myford grinder tables so my brother and we could "play on", we worked weekends, summers for my dad in our teens, I started to work full time for him as an apprentice when I was 18 and am now 62, I still operate a rebuilding company called King-Way Scraping Consultants and have recently rebuild 2 Drake CNC thread grinders, when I return from by vacation next week, I will complete a Betley double disk grinder I am rebuilding now.

I show my students "tricks of the trade" that I have learned with my 50 years of experience. I say scraping is easy to learn how to , but knowing where to scrape and how much to take off is a "trade". If you have an open mind and willing to follow common sense mechanics, buy a couple of books and PRACTICE you can rebuild machines after taking my classes. I offer weekend, week, and weeks classes. I guarantee I can teach someone to scrape in 2 days and learn simple tricks of the trade on 3 to 5 days or you get your money back. In my 35+ years of training I have never had to pay anyone their money back. Take a look at the references on my web-site handscraping.com look at posts from my former students on the other popular machine forums archives. Check out "Dallas Class and Ashland WI".

Good Day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the answer and explanation. I was wondering if you had any connection to the King Way Alignment Tool. When I rebuilt lathes,I had to keep testing the cross slide alignment against the face plate,and was wondering how you could do without the lathe present.

When I teach rebuilding I want to keep the cross-slide square to the bedways. I teach as you rebuild any machine there is some simple rules to follow. With a fixed non removeable head-stock you have to start there and woork your way out and keep everything square and parallel to it and compensating for sag and tool pressure. With a removeable headstock you start at the base and work to it scraping for sag and tool pressure. If a machine is worn, like a lahe bed you square the cross-slide to the bed where there is little wear. I talk with the owner of the machine and find out what type if work is the most critical to him; facing or turning. One can twist the bedways to compinsate for wear near the headstock.

There are many things one must take into consideration when making a "tune-up" repair. If I was going to do a total rebuild, I always scrape the saddle to a square on the travel to the bedways and aligning the headstock last as it adjustable by scraping it, or some of the machines you can adjust them as they swivel on a pin. Playing detective and asking question before the repair / rebuild is the key. I also suggest you follow the book "Testing Machine Tools" which show the spec's. of new machines. You can also get the ASME spec's online. I never scrape a saddle to a faceplate as the saddle must be square to the bed and if the head-stock is aligned to the bed-ways properly it will face correctly.

I also teach "there are several ways to skin a cat" as long as you get the results you want in the same amount of time, DO IT! In all my years of machine building and rebuilding the people who say their way is the best are fools. I have an open mind to all idea's. But I have tried several methods over the years and find the ways I was taught and teach seem to work quite well.

My dad use to tell me, "when your not learning something new everyday" your dead." When you stop making a mistake now and then, your dead".....and "when you think you know it all your a FOOL."

Please contribute your methods to the forum as you years of experience will help us all.

Have a great day.

Rich

I live in GA and I would love to go to one of these classes,but i cant afford it right now.

I didn't scrape the saddle square to the headstock,I scraped the cross slide dovetail to be square,after taking care of the ways first. Most lathes(in gov't.spec) are,of course,allowed to face a little hollow,as we know. I prefer my lathe to turn true cylinders and face flat as I'm not doing flange work. That's just my preference.

As I've gotten older,and have permanent back injuries,I've found easier ways to earn a buck!!

Scraping is what you do. Keep at it.:) Do keep teaching others. That's very important.

We've got 5 students. We need to get 1 more student to make this class happen. The cut off date is Feb 15. Come on guys I know theres got to be 1 more person out there that wants to learn to scrape and rebuild their machines.

Craig

We've got 5 students. We need to get 1 more student to make this class happen. The cut off date is Feb 15. Come on guys I know theres got to be 1 more person out there that wants to learn to scrape and rebuild their machines.

Craig

I just got home tonight and it looks like we have enough students now. Craig and I will be getting our heads together and make a list and then send everyone the DVD and work booklet. We will also include a list of the students, so you can email each other and possible commute or double up if you want. Please prepare a list of the scraping equipment you will be bringing and your projects so when I email you, you can write me back.
I know a couple of you don't have a project, but Tommy and I will have something for you work on.
Thanks for coming through and signing up. We will have a great time.
Rich

Back