Scraping Class in Kansas City this Fall Anyone interested in attending.

I for one will make the dates work, so I'm easy. I would love to attend a five day class even if it meant taking off a couple more work days. I understand a lot of folks don't feel like they can make that time, but if they do I'm in.:)) I sure hope more folks step forward to participate and learn these skills. I may just be a budding machine nerd, but I think the opportunity is priceless.

Say, Steve. Are you going to be in this? I look forward to meeting some local guys. Especially guys that share this interest in scraping. I've been meaning to touch bases with you sometime. As far as I know, the date is still open to fit those with a super rigid schedule. If you have to fit into a given time slot now would be the time to say "I can only do it...". I also want people to know that you couldn't take any course in this from better people. Richard has gone way out of his way to help me for no gain to himself, taking time here, on the phone, and through emails. I got myself in a real pickle buying a heap of mismatched parts and paying for a mill. He really helped me sort a lot out. I can't wait to thank him in person. These classes aren't going to go on forever either. A man will eventually retire whether he wants to or not. I'm pretty sure this is done way more out of a love of passing on a dying art than love of money. A lot of folks in trades like these have no interest in sharing their skill and knowledge. We are fortunate to get a chance to try our hand at their art. Hope to see some of you there:))

Hi Lee,

As I explained to Bob, my schedule gets pretty hectic and unpredictable in the fall. Although I would love to attend I'm just not able to give a definite answer. I know that's wishy washy but sometimes life's like that. :)) If my schedule doesn't allow me to attend the whole class, maybe I can at least stop in for a bit and meet everyone. I'd even spring for pizza for lunch - I know a great pizza place out that direction.

I don't have much of a shop, just an area in the basement, but you're welcome to stop by sometime and shoot the breeze.

Steve

Sounds just like what I have to work with:)) It's a shame if you don't get to go, I'll cross my fingers for you. Who all is going?

I've had a few days of instruction from Richard. Highly recommended. That being said I might be able to go. Would have to be the very biginning or end of October. I do have a nice 24 by 36 Grade A surface plate that I'll be selling for $200. Might be able to work something out with someone going to the class. Just PM.
Chris

Bob,

I would like to attend the class.

Driving over and up from Alabama will not be an issue.

I will send you a PM with my contact information.

toolman_ar
Tom Ryan

Is it possible to get more info on exactly what he will be teaching? Like is it just basic scraping technique for a small surface plate?
Or maybe a bit of what goes into machine restoration?
I have a South Bend six foot bed for a 13" lathe. The front vee way is worn to where the saddle is dragging on the screws for the gear rack!
I would like to learn anything he has to teach. But I'd REALLY be happy if I came away with a bit of guidance on vee way scraping.
If I brought the bed along, any chance he'd be kind enough to take a peek at it ?

Does he like to rescue well worn old American iron? Or does he only tune up slightly worn modern machines?

Thanks for any info.

Brad

Alton, Mo.

I know at least 2 of us are interested in a surface plate. I hate to speak for someone else, but I have seen pics from other classes. It is not just scraping for a flat surface, but also alignment. Richard does have a scraping only dvd on ebay. I have it and found it to be very informative. I don't know that you would get the whole lathe done, but maybe the compound or some of it anyway. I'd be willing to bet he would help you look at it though, form a plan. Probably even speak to you about it before the class a bit. Old iron isn't a problem from what I've seen. I would love to see some old stuff brought back to life, like my mill:)). I look forward to seeing you guys!

Richard teaches many of the aspects required to return a worn machine to a good usable one. Here are some of the things he will be teaching. way alignment, Scraping both hand and power scraping with a biax. How to check for machine wear. Aligning headstock to ways. If there is something specific you want to learn I can put you in touch with Richard or you can post it here and I'll get with him. Bob

Here are the Class Dates October 24, 25 and 26th with a possible extra day on the 27th of October. If anyone interested in this class did not get a e-mail from me please send me a pm with your e-mail so I can get in touch. Bob
here's a few pics of the Kalamazoo class that just finished
DSC02183[1].jpgDSC02185[1].jpgDSC02189[1].jpgDSC02190[1].jpgDSC02192[1].jpg

DSC02183[1].jpg DSC02185[1].jpg DSC02189[1].jpg DSC02190[1].jpg DSC02192[1].jpg

Last edited:
Back