Thank you Randy......

You are VERY welcome - any compliments to you guys are well-deserved !

BTW, I recall your (famous to me) comment about scraping your wife's cookware EVERY time that I see a post about scraping - here or elsewhere. I was sipping on a beer when I read that comment. You gave me such a belly laugh that beer spewed out of my nose, LOL !

Mike, nice work on the new scraping project. As the master said to his student "when you can walk on the rice paper and leave no mark you will be a master". I just looked and there are no marks on the rice paper...Master.

I have been out of commission with bad allergies, so have not gotten to work with you masterpiece yet. I have it sitting on the shelf in the kitchen so I can see it every day. Thanks again.

Brooks

Thanks Brooks,
i'm merely a grasshopper trying to do good work, but thanks for the vote of confidence!
i have been suffering some hay fever myself for the last week, snifflin sneezin' you know the drill!!!

I hope you feel better soon!
i'll sometimes stage projects in plain view so when i walk past, i can't help but see stuff that needs doin'. it helps to keep thing fresh in my head

well, back at the salt mines...
were getting a lot better contact, the straightedge is starting to hinge correctly on the surface plate.
Hinging, for the uninitiated, is the act of handling one end of the piece being scraped on the inked up surface plate in an arcing fashion, to see the point of greatest contact for the opposing end, which is about 1/3 the distance from the end of the work when a properly scraped piece is hinged.

2015-04-13.jpg

and after a few more heavy scraping cycles....

2015-04-13.jpg

as indicated by the light blue, the surface contact has broadened greatly.
another score of cycles will be necessary to call it flat!

Unsought advice: now is a good time topour and level the concretepierson which
your Flather will live. After a couple of months, set the lathe in place, shim to level
Forget it for at least a few weeks, check for level when the Spirit moves you.
My admiration for your Courage Ex-Flather Owner......... BLJHB.

Thank you for reading and for the advise,
the lathe is sitting on 3 points right now and most likely will be for a couple months.
i'm doing the scraping on the straightedge to do some dovetail work on my SB11, so that i may, in turn, put it back together.
i'm planning to get the SB11 working before tearing the Flather down.

as soon as i got home from work today, i got right back on the horse and started scraping again!:D
heres what i got done today!

Hand%2BScraping%2Ba%2BSrtaightedge%2B6.jpg

Hand%2BScraping%2Ba%2BSrtaightedge%2B7.jpg

Hand%2BScraping%2Ba%2BSrtaightedge%2B8jpg.jpg

as you can see the contact is greater than 95%. there will be more work to just complete this one side.
I believe it's starting to get flat!!!

either your ink layer on the surface plate is too thick or you rubbed it too vigorously. That last photo tells you nothing about glatness or spots per squsre inch bearing....
Try rollng out the ink thinner or thin it with some light oil and try again.

Back