Hi Ulma Doctor. I'd love to look on if you have this workshop. I am in the bay area.

Hi ericc,
you would be welcome to the scrape off too!
i'll make announcement nearer the date for all that would like to attend.

Hello again,
i got back on the scraping horse again
i have some updated pictures.
the thread lives on!!!!

here's the top side, the bevel is facing the viewer

2016-06-05.jpg
here is the spine below
2016-06-05.jpg
the bevel is pictured next, it's still slightly high in the middle minimal distal edge contact
2016-06-05.jpg

here's the back of the straightedge, it's coming along very nicely
2016-06-05.jpg
it's time for me to get serious again about the straightedge , it's holding up other work.
the only way to get there is to keep working at it, slowly and surely and maybe even a little surly :grin big:.
as always thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Mike,

Looking good!!!
Might scrape it a little hard in the middle a couple times on the bevel to get more spread on the markings. Be sure to go back and recheck the top and bottom to make sure they didn't move when finished working the bevel.

Thanks Ken, :grin:
the bevel is high in the middle, i'll do as you suggested and hit it hard in the middle!
i have been trying real hard to scrape opposing faces to minimize warp.
I've also been wringing the reference occasionally throughout the process too!
i appreciate the pointers very much, Thank you,
feel free to point away! :grin:

I too am trying my hand at scraping! For my project, I have an acquaintance who likes to re-build lathes, and he had an old craftsman lathe bed that he was going to scrap. It has two flat ways and should make a great scraping project for a straight edge. The bed is "good iron," old iron, stable, and reasonably flat and straight. I just couldn't see scrapping this quality iron. Resource met need so now I have a project and the material.

I too am trying my hand at scraping! For my project, I have an acquaintance who likes to re-build lathes, and he had an old craftsman lathe bed that he was going to scrap. It has two flat ways and should make a great scraping project for a straight edge. The bed is "good iron," old iron, stable, and reasonably flat and straight. I just couldn't see scrapping this quality iron. Resource met need so now I have a project and the material.
An Atlas/Craftsman lathe would be a great starting point, have fun with it!!!:grin:
thanks for looking!

Back