scraping in a surface gauge feedback needed.

it looks horrible in the picture and the blue wont show up need leds and a highlighter color to make it show up:(

I can only put one picture per reply because the other ones won’t load :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
it looks horrible in the picture and the blue wont show up need leds and a highlighter color to make it show up:(
One of my pet little endeavours is to make up my own version of the contrast yellow against blue, or red ochre, or black, and to have it water washable. When I mess with oil-based Prussian Blue, it gets everywhere, and won't easily come off clothes, and I end up looking like a Smurf!

However - that said, if you are careful, keep handy a squeeze-bottle of denatured alcohol, or IPA + a supply of paper towels, almost any pigment fine enough, in a grease that can be wiped away, will work. Simple tubes of artist's oil paint does the trick.

Adding some yellow to the part so thin, it is barely there, transparent, and putting the blue (or other) on the reference surface does indeed show up the contrast. I found spreading the red ochre art paint down to a thin near transparent stain on the part, also will show up the blue high spots well.

I got some "Sun Wellow" powder pigment for only a few bucks from eBay. I plan to mix it with the sulfonated caster oil, + a few drops of detergent, but the yellow oil paint does work all by itself, straight out of the tube.

I got some dykem hi spot blue that I will use now instead.
For excellent contrasting, and easy too, there is the "evaporative" method, dabbing on the red pigment with a home-made chamois leather pad. There is the tip that you have to use real chamois leather. Many car-cleaning "chamois" are plastic faux substitutes. You dab up with a little mineral spirits as a caking "drying" paste, then as it evaporates, you get to wipe out and thin the colour at will, and you don't need to smear up your hand.

Robin Renzetti (ROBRENZ) is of course the famous YouTube contributor for the very highest standards in precision engineering. He fully explains the red pigment method in his video about Moore Pattern oil retention pattern scraping. The bit about the evaporative method, starts at around 18:18, but if you haven't already seen the rest of the video, I can almost guarantee you will get hooked.

1609363028168.png

I think he used hi spot blue on the granite. I never before thought of crayola as a source of pigment , but it is mentioned in the video.

Do you see the spots that have a polished center?
Those are your high spots.
I remember when we got to the point in our project where we had 20+ spots per inch we would rub the piece on a plate, it was obvious how the high spots came out as mirror finish spots with a dark blue around the perimiter.
I know you said you were done and all. It's easy for me to sit here and tell you what I think :)
Have you hinged it? Does it pivot 1/3 on the opposite side you are touching?

I have those shiny spots pretty even around it I’ve hinged it it hinges at the right spot but with two separate flats it is a pain.

Back