Searching for a 8520 for an acquaintance

Brento

Registered
Registered
Has anyone had any leads on a mill in the NY,NJ,PA area?

haven't been looking. I did see a rockwell recently up. I don't remember where.

Have to be an 8520 Brent ? If so , I'll start scouting .

I think he eould be happy with an 8530 being a little bigger but that was what he asked.

I think he eould be happy with an 8530 being a little bigger but that was what he asked.
is the 8530 bigger? I thought it was the drive mechanism. Just the table? or is the head bigger?

I believe the 8530 had the spacer come with the mill. I have an 8530. Ill have to look at the differences.

This is the specs for an 8530 and 8535

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 86
Here's a Clausing 8525 in Rhode Island. A little steep at $3000.

Bruce

Just saw this 8520 on Facebook between State College and Williamsport (Beech Creek, PA)

Looks nice

967F8B6F-68A6-48B5-B565-17D159C8E55A.jpeg

For those who don’t Facebook. From the ad:
“ Clausing 8520 manual mill. Has upgraded Rusnok series 80 head. Moves freely in all three axis, as well as the quill. I have outgrown it and need to make room for something bigger. Comes with the original stand, as well as an additional 4" riser. Will also come with a full set of collets. Motor is 1/3 hp. Adjustable belt drive head. Motor runs nice, and sounds good. It is missing the table lock on the X axis. Two of the dials do not lock. I think they need a good cleaning, as they still spin freely. Y axis handle is bent. “

I believe the 8530 had the spacer come with the mill. I have an 8530. Ill have to look at the differences.

The spacer was an option on 8520, standard on the 8530.
8530 has a redesigned, heavier knee.
8530 also has an improved lateral (x axis) table crank, that allows for a either fast 4-1 rate, or 1-1 for better precision. 8520 doesn't have the fast travel option.
Other than that the two models are basically the same, 8530 a little heavier because of the changes but same foot print. From what I've seen the 8530 is considered more desirable, but much less common. I haven't seen a significant price difference between them.

I'd consider the spacer block to be highly desirable on an 8520. 12" spindle to table vs 16" makes a big difference and I'm very happy mine came with the spacer. Even with the spacer the mill is only 70" tall so unlikely to be an issue even in a ceiling height challenged shop like mine (6'6" ceiling).

Back