• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Sears 109.21280 , 1"-10 thread Spindle, with out a 3 or 4 jaw Chuck

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Westkeyser

Swarf
Registered
I was given , Sears 109.21280 , 1"-10 thread Spindle, with out a 3 or 4 jaw Chuck. Very good shape. For over 5 years
I have tried to buy both CHUCKS, on EBay, believe the 4 jaw Sears # to be 11121406 Craftsman. Do not know what the 3 jaw # is.
I Really need your help here. Where to buy both chucks? May be, someone on here has one or both, not being used. Please contact me , davebrantnerwv@earthlink.net, mention (Sears 109.21280 Lathe Chuck), I am and Old Man, have a grandson I would like to leave this Old, Sears , Lathe to.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
The problem with used chucks is that they are often too worn to do good work. Have you looked into getting a new import chuck and machining a backplate to fit?
Mark

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
We have no information on the 109.21280 except that it was made by AA (also known as Double-A) in the early 1960's and that very few must have been made as almost none have ever turned up. There is a small amount of info on the Lathes.UK website (http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page9.html).

As the lathe has the same spindle nose threads as the more available Atlas 618, 3950 and 10100, you should be able to find one for it. I would not recommend putting anything on it larger than a 4" chuck. Note that several of the 3" and 4" 3-jaw chucks that I turned up on eBay (all of the new ones) are plain back. Meaning that you will have to source a back or backing plate and fit it to the chuck in order to mount those chucks on the lathe.

markba633csi

I'd like to see a picture of this rare beast!
Mark

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
If you follow the link that I included above, there are photos of several of the machines, including one that may still be all original (the gold painted one). Of course, photos of the one that's the subject of this thread wouldn't hurt!

westsailpat

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
Yes, apparently the spindle threads and the spindle and tailstock tapers are the same as on the Atlas built 6" machines (except for the 101.07300). Other than that, it has no countershaft and the spindle and motor pulleys are 3-step. So it is a 6-speed machine.

T Bredehoft

Active User
When I purchased my lathe, it had no 3 jaw chuck. I purchased a back plate with 1" 10 threads, and mounted a new 3 jaw chuck on it.

Westkeyser

Swarf
Registered
Yes, apparently the spindle threads and the spindle and tailstock tapers are the same as on the Atlas built 6" machines (except for the 101.07300). Other than that, it has no countershaft and the spindle and motor pulleys are 3-step. So it is a 6-speed machine.[/QUO

I understand that the 109.21280 , was used in by and auto parts Store , to turn the Armatures , of the auto generators.

It has a #2 taper , drill Chuck , 5/8 or 3/4" drill Chuck. I guess , I should have told all you fellows that I am not a machinist, by trade. But I am sure now you have figured that out. Sorry if I have affended anyone.

Just wanted to know who might know ,of any one , having a. Good used 3 jaw Scroll , and 4 jaw. Or the best , GESTIMATE , of where to start looking. I have , looked for over 5 years for the Chucks , mostly on eBay.
I did find a local , 1-10 Sears Atlas, Lathe , fellow , let me borrow a 4 jaw , 1-10 , 4 " , however, it would only screw on about one thread. I did not try to force it. the spindle threads are very Clean and NOT , BUGGERED UP.
The idea of buying a backer plate, to fit the spindle and a newer Scroll Chuck , might be , the the answer ? Where would I get such backer plate that would screw on and info to mount , the new Chuck, and to center up with tail stock?
Westkeyser.

Westkeyser

Swarf
Registered
When I purchased my lathe, it had no 3 jaw chuck. I purchased a back plate with 1" 10 threads, and mounted a new 3 jaw chuck on it.
T Bredehoft, where can I buy a backer Plate , And a 3 jaw Scroll Chuck ?

Westkeyser

Swarf
Registered
I'd like to see a picture of this rare beast!
Mark
Mark, I will try and find some young fellows to help me dig the Lathe out. Will try and take some pictures, not sure how
To posts them. .
Sad thing is ,allot of the ORIGIONAL gold paint came off when I cleaded it up. Tried to find some paint close the ORIGIONAL color, no one had anything close the ORIGIONAL color.
But will try over the next week.

Westkeyser

T Bredehoft

Active User
T Bredehoft, where can I buy a backer Plate , And a 3 jaw Scroll Chuck ?
I found them on Ebay or Amazon, it's been a couple of years.

Search for 1 inch 10 backing plate, also 4 inch 3 jaw chuck

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
Another possibility is mymachineshop.com. Joel specializes in parts for the Atlas machines but in the case of the spindle threads and taper and the tailstock taper, anything that will fit a 618 or 101.21400 should fit the 109.21280.

You mentioned earlier that a 1"-10 chuck would only screw onto the spindle about one thread. There are three possibilities -

the threads on your spindle weren't made right or have been damaged.
there was something wrong with the threads in the borrowed chuck.
the threads in the chuck were actually 1"-8, because the chuck was actually made for the Atlas-Craftsman 101.07301.

In the event that you buy a pre-threaded 1"-10 backing plate and it fits OK, that's probably what the problem was, and you can go ahead and machine it to fit the plain back chuck. If it also will only go on about one thread, something is wrong with your threads. I would suggest going to McMaster and buying one of their 2-piece thread file sets. Such a set is something that everyone who wants to play at being a machinist should have, anyway. Fortunately, the threads, so long as the chuck will screw on all of the way to the register area (the unthreaded area next to the flange, and the front face of the flange), have (or should have) little to do with aligning the chuck.

[6]
[5] [7]