Sears 109.21280 , 1"-10 thread Spindle, with out a 3 or 4 jaw Chuck

Westkeyser

Registered
Registered
I was given , Sears 109.21280 , 1"-10 thread Spindle, with out a 3 or 4 jaw Chuck. Very good shape. For over 5 years
I have tried to buy both CHUCKS, on EBay, believe the 4 jaw Sears # to be 11121406 Craftsman. Do not know what the 3 jaw # is.
I Really need your help here. Where to buy both chucks? May be, someone on here has one or both, not being used. Please contact me , davebrantnerwv@earthlink.net, mention (Sears 109.21280 Lathe Chuck), I am and Old Man, have a grandson I would like to leave this Old, Sears , Lathe to.

The problem with used chucks is that they are often too worn to do good work. Have you looked into getting a new import chuck and machining a backplate to fit?
Mark

We have no information on the 109.21280 except that it was made by AA (also known as Double-A) in the early 1960's and that very few must have been made as almost none have ever turned up. There is a small amount of info on the Lathes.UK website (http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page9.html).

As the lathe has the same spindle nose threads as the more available Atlas 618, 3950 and 10100, you should be able to find one for it. I would not recommend putting anything on it larger than a 4" chuck. Note that several of the 3" and 4" 3-jaw chucks that I turned up on eBay (all of the new ones) are plain back. Meaning that you will have to source a back or backing plate and fit it to the chuck in order to mount those chucks on the lathe.

If you follow the link that I included above, there are photos of several of the machines, including one that may still be all original (the gold painted one). Of course, photos of the one that's the subject of this thread wouldn't hurt!

Yes, apparently the spindle threads and the spindle and tailstock tapers are the same as on the Atlas built 6" machines (except for the 101.07300). Other than that, it has no countershaft and the spindle and motor pulleys are 3-step. So it is a 6-speed machine.

When I purchased my lathe, it had no 3 jaw chuck. I purchased a back plate with 1" 10 threads, and mounted a new 3 jaw chuck on it.

Yes, apparently the spindle threads and the spindle and tailstock tapers are the same as on the Atlas built 6" machines (except for the 101.07300). Other than that, it has no countershaft and the spindle and motor pulleys are 3-step. So it is a 6-speed machine.[/QUO

I understand that the 109.21280 , was used in by and auto parts Store , to turn the Armatures , of the auto generators.

It has a #2 taper , drill Chuck , 5/8 or 3/4" drill Chuck. I guess , I should have told all you fellows that I am not a machinist, by trade. But I am sure now you have figured that out. Sorry if I have affended anyone.

Just wanted to know who might know ,of any one , having a. Good used 3 jaw Scroll , and 4 jaw. Or the best , GESTIMATE , of where to start looking. I have , looked for over 5 years for the Chucks , mostly on eBay.
I did find a local , 1-10 Sears Atlas, Lathe , fellow , let me borrow a 4 jaw , 1-10 , 4 " , however, it would only screw on about one thread. I did not try to force it. the spindle threads are very Clean and NOT , BUGGERED UP.
The idea of buying a backer plate, to fit the spindle and a newer Scroll Chuck , might be , the the answer ? Where would I get such backer plate that would screw on and info to mount , the new Chuck, and to center up with tail stock?
Westkeyser.

Back