Sears 109.21280 , 1"-10 thread Spindle, with out a 3 or 4 jaw Chuck

I'd like to see a picture of this rare beast!
Mark

Mark, I will try and find some young fellows to help me dig the Lathe out. Will try and take some pictures, not sure how
To posts them. .
Sad thing is ,allot of the ORIGIONAL gold paint came off when I cleaded it up. Tried to find some paint close the ORIGIONAL color, no one had anything close the ORIGIONAL color.
But will try over the next week.

Westkeyser

T Bredehoft, where can I buy a backer Plate , And a 3 jaw Scroll Chuck ?

I found them on Ebay or Amazon, it's been a couple of years.

Search for 1 inch 10 backing plate, also 4 inch 3 jaw chuck

Another possibility is mymachineshop.com. Joel specializes in parts for the Atlas machines but in the case of the spindle threads and taper and the tailstock taper, anything that will fit a 618 or 101.21400 should fit the 109.21280.

You mentioned earlier that a 1"-10 chuck would only screw onto the spindle about one thread. There are three possibilities -

the threads on your spindle weren't made right or have been damaged.
there was something wrong with the threads in the borrowed chuck.
the threads in the chuck were actually 1"-8, because the chuck was actually made for the Atlas-Craftsman 101.07301.

In the event that you buy a pre-threaded 1"-10 backing plate and it fits OK, that's probably what the problem was, and you can go ahead and machine it to fit the plain back chuck. If it also will only go on about one thread, something is wrong with your threads. I would suggest going to McMaster and buying one of their 2-piece thread file sets. Such a set is something that everyone who wants to play at being a machinist should have, anyway. Fortunately, the threads, so long as the chuck will screw on all of the way to the register area (the unthreaded area next to the flange, and the front face of the flange), have (or should have) little to do with aligning the chuck.

Back