Sears Craftsman Parts?

Chopper1

Registered
Registered
I've been looking into purchasing an older Atlas Craftsman lathe, but have a concern regarding parts availability once Sears shuts the door. Is this a valid concern or will current parts be available into the unforeseen future? Thoughts

Clausing, who bought Atlas, still have parts available. I'm not sure that all parts for all lathes are available, but between them and the used market, most parts can be found. If the lathe is a bargain, go for it.

Do you have a model number, Harold (Amateur Redneck Workshop) has ordered some parts from Sears parts direct, it would depend on what they stock. These lates are parted out on EBay so that’s a source. Like most older machines spare parts are a challenge, but some parts can me made in your shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sears still carries some parts but the prices are often astronomical- Ebay is your friend here. If you needed anything significant like a spindle or a
gearbox I would forget about trying to buy it new. Also, along the same lines, if the lathe you are considering is missing or has broken parts, check the replacement cost before making an offer
mark

Last edited:
Right now, there are enough people scrounging Atlas lathes and parting them out on eBay to ensure availability of replacements for a long time to come. Wear parts, like feed screws and acme nuts, are available new from aftermarket sources or can be made yourself.

Back