Second interview

SubtleHustle

Registered
Registered
I just got a call from a local manufacturing company, asking me to come in for a second interview on Thursday. It is a PAID 3 year apprenticeship, as a machinist. They guarantee 40+ hours/week, hands on, with a couple hours/week of online training. I would be taking a small pay cut, from my current truck driving job, but it's doing and learning something that I'm passionate about. The company has been around since the 50s, and are very well respected in the area. I am super excited, fingers crossed!:encourage:

Today you're the statue, Pigeon. What was I thinking!!!
Go For It....I'v'e been most happy in my career as a Tool & Die maker. I retired 19 years ago, continued to play at home, (not as $$$ rewarding) but certainly as entertaining.

Last edited:
Thanks all! I might be a little late to the game, I'm 44, but I'm old enough to know that going after a career that I would actually enjoy going in to, is worth more than a buck or two in pay, at a career that I do not enjoy. I appreciate all of your encouragement and wishes!

You will be fine if you already have a background in machining.
A high end NC machine will not make the part for you by magic, it will merely automate the moves that are repetitive and boring to do manually.

If you have even a small knowledge of part holding and tool choice speed/feed/doc you will be well ahead of the game.

Do realize that that the world that you may be going into in no way resembles the hobby work that you are accustomed to, this is often difficult for many to get their head around.

Last edited:
You will be fine if you already have a background in machining.
A high end NC machine will not make the part for you by magic, it will merely automate the moves that are repetitive and boring to do manually.

If you have even a small knowledge of part holding and tool choice speed/feed/doc you will be well ahead of the game.

Do realize that that the world that you may be going into in no way resembles the hobby work that you are accustomed to, this is often difficult for many to get their head around.
No, I assumed it wouldn't. I expect it to be "work", with all that goes along with that. However, it will definitely improve my hobby work, and all of the "fun" stuff, that goes along with that. That said, thank you very much for the advise. I appreciate your honesty.

Back