Securing The Apes

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So guys I have 12" apes on my Kawi Vulcan and a Biltwell one-piece stainless riser setup. This is the first time I've run such large bars. I have everything tight, used blue Loctite on the riser clamping and riser mount bolts. Remembering hitting some nice bumps and the sudden feeling that my bars slipped ever so slightly is not a fun thing. I was thinking tack welding between the bar and bottom riser clamp where the bar passes over each bottom clamp. I think this would be better than using emory cloth or sandpaper which IMO would just shine up and smoothen the bar, and a pin thru the bar and riser would just wallow out over time. What say ye?

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of your setup?

Personally, I wouldn't want to tack weld the bars. I think I would try a few center punch marks on the handlebar first. Are the riser clamps just a tad too large and tightening up on themselves rather than on the bars? Maybe machine a few thousands off of the top clamp if that's the case.

Tim

You need a very good fit for this to work.

Paint one side of the mating parts with a felt pin and assemble parts snug.

Bump with a wood block then tear apart to check transfer.

Should be even, if not you can see where it is holding and where not.

You may need to alter the bore of the bracket.

If it is 2 piece and too big you mill off where they mate then bore again, if new and vendor supports, ask them.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Maybe machine a few thousands off of the top clamp
That is what this hillbilly would do....
Seems unlikely your bars and your riser are of two different diameters, right??

Maybe you should ask on a Harley forum Instead of this one. Those guys must have an answer.
I have often wondered how those very high ape hanger bars keep from spinning on the top triple clamp (or whatever these bars mount to) under hard braking or (heaven forbid) if you were to hit something.
good luck

You could drill and tap the the riser, then drill the bars for two 1/2" plugs, counter sunk to accept 1/4" Allen head cap screws. Then weld the plugs into the bars, finish as needed, and lock-tite in the screws. That's what I would do if I wasn't so lazy. Mike

edit: After that to make it even more complicated, you could drill, and tap the top clamp for set screws that would seat in the Allen pocket of the cap screw below it. Actually drill through the top clamp with the bars in place as a first operation. Make sure you have them where you want them before starting this journey to Mordor. Mike

Last edited:
Maybe you should ask on a Harley forum Instead of this one. Those guys must have an answer.
I have often wondered how those very high ape hanger bars keep from spinning on the top triple clamp (or whatever these bars mount to) under hard braking or (heaven forbid) if you were to hit something.
good luck
Asking about a Kawasaki on a Harley forum would be dangerous :)

12” apes are not considered high. I have built and rode custom bikes for many years. Never had problem you’re having. Gotta find your mismatched parts and correct. Bars that move could get you much hurt or worse. As stated above mark parts and find where you’re losing contact. Fix before riding.

Back