Securing vise while the vise is at an angle from the table

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I'm in the process of making the nut that secures the QCTP. I'll be using a piece from a 1" round bar and a 3/8" round bar as the handle.

I want to drill a hole on the cylinder at an angle where the handle is going in.

I'll be securing the cylinder in the mill vise, and I'll be propping up the vise, so I can get something like a 70 degree angle on the hole.

I'm trying to figure out how I can clamp the vise on to the bed at this angle. Any ideas?

Also, how do I secure the cylinder in the vise to prevent it from moving without denting it by clamping too tight? My vise doesn't have the "V" cut out to secure cylinder objects.

It'll look something like this:

QCTP_overview.JPG

What kind of mill do you have ? Can the head tilt ? I would not use the vice as you described , and it sounds like you don't have a angle table ? How about a 90* angle plate and make a shim to the degree you need ?

Put the part in the vice with the flats against the jaws. Turn the vice sideways on the table. Block up the back of the vice to the correct angle, and use your clamping kit to secure. You may want to bolt one of the clamps directly to the table at the front of the vice to make sure it doesn't slide forward.

Machine a flat where the hole is going to be drilled else the drill will walk off.

In this case I used two vices but the same idea still applies.
1537751381690.png

What kind of mill do you have ? Can the head tilt ? I would not use the vice as you described , and it sounds like you don't have a angle table ? How about a 90* angle plate and make a shim to the degree you need ?

I have a PM-25MV, the head can't tilt

Put the part in the vice with the flats against the jaws. Turn the vice sideways on the table. Block up the back of the vice to the correct angle, and use your clamping kit to secure. You may want to bolt one of the clamps directly to the table at the front of the vice to make sure it doesn't slide forward.

Machine a flat where the hole is going to be drilled else the drill will walk off.

In this case I used two vices but the same idea still applies.
View attachment 276161

Ahah! Thanks for the idea, i have that same vise, too

Place a vee block in your vise against the fixed jaw. Now place the part to be milled/drilled between the vee block and the movable jaw. Position the vee block/part at the correct angle and tighten the vise. Mill and drill (and tap) your part. Easy peasy.

Ugh... my work pieces shifted while I was drilling at a 13 degree angle. I secured my cylinder to the precision vise, then placed the precision vise into my milling vise at a 13 degree angle.

I used a 3/8" end mill to start the cut, so I can get a "flat" surface. Then I used a center drill bit to start the hole, then when i used the drill bit, the work shifted somehow, and I noticed that the hole is way off from the center of the cylinder.

Ugh... my work pieces shifted while I was drilling at a 13 degree angle. I secured my cylinder to the precision vise, then placed the precision vise into my milling vise at a 13 degree angle.

I used a 3/8" end mill to start the cut, so I can get a "flat" surface. Then I used a center drill bit to start the hole, then when i used the drill bit, the work shifted somehow, and I noticed that the hole is way off from the center of the cylinder.

Sounds like you did everything right. Sometimes stuff happens. It's happened to all of us.

This is a job for square stock, where you drill and tap the angled hole on the mill first, the turn on the lathe to size.

Back