[Source] Seeking A Machine Shop In Se Michigan (small Parts)

auto.pilot

Active User
Registered
As the title says, I am seeking a machine shop in SE Michigan willing to make 100 or so of the items shown below. Likely material is 304 stainless. The horizontal tube is approximately 2.5 inches long, 5/16 thick with an interior thread (end to end, but larger than shown). Each of the smaller upright parts are approximately 5/8 thick and 1 inch tall. They are threaded from the bottom. However the hole in these upright parts does not extend all the way through.

I thought I could make these, but got only mediocre results in aluminum. I quickly realized that I may never be even a decent machinist. These are part of a much larger project. I don't want to get sidetracked while learning the art and craft of lathe work. It's really much more time consuming and challenging than I ever imagined.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Heck, maybe I don't need a machine shop... someone on this board likely has the skill and time that I don't!

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Jim

Small Part Lathe Work.jpg

Jim,
If you aren't successful in finding a shop in SE Michigan and no more then shipping would be on these open it up to a larger area, like Ohio :)

The only problem (for myself) that comes into view quickly is the end to end threading of the 2 1/2" length of rod, even doing the ends separately may be a tough job in 304ss at 1 1/4 depth on such a small thread. If corrosion resistance isn't a issue some of the more easily machinable SS would be a help, like 303ss.

Ken

The threads inside that long tube are not drawn to scale. I think the will be standard 1/4-20.

A 1/4 20 tap will not tap a hole 2 1/2 deep, unless there exist taps with reduced shanks.

If available I'd want a gun tap, to drive the chips ahead of it. or one that would bring the chips out the back.

Last edited:
Long reduced shank are available, have never done such a long tap, would be an interesting tapping operation.
Ken

Does it really need to be tapped through 2 1/2"? May need to rethink design to make fabrication easier/more practical?

There are regular length taps with reduced shanks. Also,there are taps with long shanks called Pulley Taps. They are long to stick out past the OD of the pulley. I don't know if they come with reduced shanks.

It might be necessary for the OP to re examine his plans and see if he really needs the hole tapped that deep,as mentioned.

If one would predrill to the maximum minor diameter, perhaps even a couple thousandths more that would ease the tapping forces, would make for a slightly looser thread fit but there would be lots of thread for holding.
If I were doing it there would be a fixture that held a number of them and use CNC rigid multi level peck tapping.

I'd sure like to know what it's for :)

Thank you for the prompt replies... clearly I do need to discuss the project with a knowledgeable shop. Someone made a suggestion last night. May meet them saturday.

I believe you would need a "nut tap" for that job, if you really need the entire length of the part threaded.

Back