Seeking a small SG with 1" spindle

veniceboo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi I'm looking for a small surface grinder for a little different application that most here use them for. I make bamboo fly rods as a hobby. Some people use hand tools and precision made steel forms to shape their strips into a precise taper, and others, including most of the old masters, use machines that do the work. I'm looking for an old grinder that I can convert and it would need to have a 1" spindle that I can mount dual 30 degree cutters that have a 1" hole. I'm having a hard time finding specs on the different machines out there and I was hoping to get a little help so I can narrow my focus. I'm partial to the Sanford SG-48 for its classic look but I'm not sure if it has a 1 1/4" spindle, which is too big.

I'll try to avoid dragging you all into my rabbit hole but I want to explain the why as I'm sure I'll be asked. I can purchase a purpose built machine but most of them use routers which are both noisy and inaccurate. Other bamboo milling machines use 3450 rpm motors and mount the cutters directly on the motor shaft. 3450 is not really enough rpm to cut bamboo so a separate spindle is advantageous. Runout is also a problem on both of these types of machines. Getting a custom made spindle can get pricey so I'm following the lead of a few other builders and am looking for a surface grinder as the basis for my mill. Any help would be appreciated.

For kicks, here is a video of my roughing mill. It is a converted M&M molder/planer (predecessor of the Williams and Hussey molder). I replaced the cutter shaft with a 1" shaft with a keyway milled in it and had a machinist turn down the ends to fit the 3/4" bearings. It's fitted with a fence and spring loaded arm to keep the prepared strips aimed at the cutters, with hold downs close to the cutters on the infeed and outfeed side. It spits out perfect 60 degree triangles which I then taper by hand in a steel form with a block plane. I'd like to mechanize the tapering process and save the additional handwork to increase production. Re-purposing an old machine would add to the fun for me.

Attachments

• VID_20181015_171842.mp4
    33.3 MB
Surface grinders run at 3450 or at least mine does. And most spindles have a tapered end mineand like most smaller grinders mine a 6x12 have a 3”tpf 1” at the big end taper at the hub end. The hub converts to a 1 1/4 straight about 1” of space. As to adapt to yours needs idk.

Surface grinders run at 3450 or at least mine does. And most spindles have a tapered end mineand like most smaller grinders mine a 6x12 have a 3”tpf 1” at the big end taper at the hub end. The hub converts to a 1 1/4 straight about 1” of space. As to adapt to yours needs idk.
What's the hole diameter on the wheels that run on your machine? The surface grinders that I've known to be used by other bamboo builders run at closer to 6000 rpm. I stepped up the rpm's on my machine to closer to that with different pulleys.

Wheel mounting ID is 1 1/4”. Make sure your wheels are rated to those rpms I know mine arnt.

Most surface grinders dont have pulleys, the motor is the spindle.... The ID on the majority or surface grinder wheels is 1 1/4", I have never seen a grinder run 6000rpm form the manufacture, But I have seen plenty of people hook up a VFD and push them that high....

Thank your for the replies. Does anyone know of a model that has a 1" spindle? Someone posted here about a Sanford SG-10 that they bought from ebay recently, a listing I was watching myself, but the wheels that fit that model have a 1/2" hole. So I know there are smaller spindle machines but I need to figure out what they are.

Most tool and cutter grinders have smaller spindles but they are like 1/2"..... I don't think you will ever find one with a 1" spindle....

Last edited:
You might want to find a small horizontal mill instead you can do just about anything with it...

I know of a couple people who use Burke mills. Another guy got a killer deal on a Horizontal Lewis mill kit.

By the way the manual for the Sanford SG 48 states the spindle speed is 5500 rpm. I don't believe that the spindle is a direct drive from the motor.

SG-48.jpg

Back