Seeking a small SG with 1" spindle

By the way the manual for the Sanford SG 48 states the spindle speed is 5500 rpm. I don't believe that the spindle is a direct drive from the motor.

Well good luck finding one of those machines, the recent thread some else just posted is the only one I've ever seen before...

Are you asking for a 1" hole through your spindle, or a 1" spindle. I don't understand the need for a certain size spindle unless there is a hole involved or you already have the wheel you want to use.

By the way the manual for the Sanford SG 48 states the spindle speed is 5500 rpm. I don't believe that the spindle is a direct drive from the motor.
Grinding speed is all about surface speed, how fast the grit is going past and rubbing the material being cut. A 3" wheel has to turn twice as fast as a 6" wheel to achieve the same "surface feet per minute (sfpm)". For grinding steel, we use somewhere around 5500 sfpm. A 7" wheel achieves 5500 sfpm at about 3450 rpm, and a 1 " wheel achieves 5500 sfpm at about 24000 rpm. I have no idea what sfpm wood prefers, probably pretty high.

Are you asking for a 1" hole through your spindle, or a 1" spindle. I don't understand the need for a certain size spindle unless there is a hole involved or you already have the wheel you want to use.

Sorry, this is not really my area of expertise so I'm not totally sure about the nomenclature. The cutters that I'll be using have a 1" hole. They are double sided 30 degree milling cutters and they're 2 and 3/4" in diameter. Cutters like this are readily available from McMaster Carr and any number of other places. Because they are so common they are cheaper and this size is optimal for a machine like this. Bigger cutters mean my hold downs won't be as close to the business end which opens me up for tear out. There are a set of the cutters in the picture next to my machine. This is what it looked like before I converted it.

20180612_130937.jpg

Maybe, but they are the ones I use for my mill and they work great. Many builders use the same cutters.

This is confusing, the thread title says SG & a Sanford SG-48 is a surface grinder. SGs use grinding wheels, not cutters. Sounds like you are looking for a horizontal mill rather than a surface grinder?

Back