Seeking a small SG with 1" spindle

So the original question was is there a small surface grinder that has a 1" shaft. The attached picture show a purpose built mill, complete with shop made spindle. The setup here would cost a few grand to replicate, so I am following a lead that I heard from another rodmaker that you can get all of the benefits (spindle speed, stability and adjustability) in a much cheaper package with a small surface grinder. A horizontal mill is not the right kind of machine because it will be too slow, among other things. I guess I am going to have to look at building the same thing in the picture.

Attachments

• 20190504_153049.jpg
    20190504_153049.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
As a woodworker of about 30 years, that machine looks wicked nasty to be around.

I like dabblers idea of a 1" spindle with an air bearing. Get an x-y axis for the movement that you need. Little bit of work but a lot of times you can find x-y tables on auctions for practically nothing.

@mmcmdl too bad we can't swap. I live too far away. I'm getting rid of a 12X37 lathe and a, 8X32 BP clone with a Taiwanese BP clone head.

Dab , I'm not looking for equipment , I'm shedding mine . I always keep my eye out for good stuff though even if I'll never use it .

As a woodworker of about 30 years, that machine looks wicked nasty to be around.

I like dabblers idea of a 1" spindle with an air bearing. Get an x-y axis for the movement that you need. Little bit of work but a lot of times you can find x-y tables on auctions for practically nothing.

It's shown without the thick plexiglass safety shield that covers the business end of the mill

As I understand it, the OP wants a custom machine to drive a pair of 2.75" diameter 30° cutters (1" bore) @ 6000 RPM. I'm not clear why a SG is the best place to start.
Need more info.
Are you planning to use the table feed to traverse the bamboo or simply mount a die/guide and hand feed the bamboo.
If neither of those options is in-the-ballpark, please explain how you plan to control the cutter/bamboo interface.

As I understand it, the OP wants a custom machine to drive a pair of 2.75" diameter 30° cutters (1" bore) @ 6000 RPM. I'm not clear why a SG is the best place to start.
Need more info.
Are you planning to use the table feed to traverse the bamboo or simply mount a die/guide and hand feed the bamboo.
If neither of those options is in-the-ballpark, please explain how you plan to control the cutter/bamboo interface.

I'm not sure you all want to be dragged into my personal rabbit hole here. You are correct about the twin 30 degree cutters and those are the same size that I use in another machine to give me my non-tapered v-shaped strips. Suffice it to say that once you have a spindle setup there are several ways in which you can deliver the strips of bamboo to the cutters and introduce a taper to them. I wouldn't be using the table that comes with the SG but mounting the SG to a stand with a moving table that rides under the cutters. There are numerous challenges to building these. Starting with a spindle that raises and lowers, accurately, with little run out, and at the correct speed- all in an existing machine- saves a ton of time on the front end. My original question was regarding a small surface grinder having a 1" shaft. It's the perfect starting point. Seems like they don't exist so I'll go to plan B.

Thanks

Last edited:
So the whole purpose of a surface grinder is the SG's table. The precision of its movement is basically the only reason they exist. The spindle is basically JUST a motor (or motor + gearbox).

In that above example, I don't actually see anything particularly difficult to make, in fact, I'd be tempted to just use a router with a shaft-adapter for those cutters, then bolt it to the side of something like this: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gr...c9bfacOLUemXb2bn1wxXGIybnhKu9N0saApW1EALw_wcB
(probably just the top half!). They show up on ebay cheap enough sometimes.

I'm not sure you all want to be dragged into my personal rabbit hole here. You are correct about the twin 30 degree cutters and those are the same size that I use in another machine to give me my non-tapered v-shaped strips. Suffice it to say that once you have a spindle setup there are several ways in which you can deliver the strips of bamboo to the cutters and introduce a taper to them. I wouldn't be using the table that comes with the SG but mounting the SG to a stand with a moving table that rides under the cutters. There are numerous challenges to building these. Starting with a spindle that raises and lowers, accurately, with little run out, and at the correct speed- all in an existing machine- saves a ton of time on the front end. My original question was regarding a small surface grinder having a 1" shaft. It's the perfect starting point. Seems like they don't exist so I'll go to plan B.

Thanks

My crystal ball is out for calibration so I don't know what "plan B" is however, if faced with the parameters that you've specified, I would start with a variable speed router as the spindle. A Makita 2.25 HP unit is rated 8,000 - 24,000 RPM. Instead of using the cutters you've shown, I would try something like the Amana Tool - 49730 Carbide Tipped Variable Double Chamfer 30° Top x 45° Bottom (example on Amazon). You could remove the center bearing and turn both cutters with 30° facing each other to replicate your current profile. Because the Amana tool is 1/2 the OD of your current cutters, the VS router will give you a good range (less SFPM and more SFPM) to optimize your process. Also, the suggested cutters are carbide. If necessary, I would pursue custom carbide cutters for the router rather than use the HHS cutters typical for horizontal milling.
You could mount the router to an X-Y table (as suggested by ErichKeane), except orient the table vertical, to achieve the motion control you described.

Howdy,

I see a lot of mention of 1/2" vs 1" spindle size on the SG48. I just bought a used SG48 and it has a 1" spindle, so they exist. The owner added an aluminum sleeve to get it to 1-1/4" and use worn out regular surface grinder wheels.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

Back