Seeking Advice on Atlas No. 700 Taper Attachment

Weldo

Registered
Registered
Hey all! I've had a No. 700 for a long time and just finally want to get it bolted to my machine. The problem is I'm missing a few parts. I did a search and found some nice dimensioned drawings in the download section.

I need the clamp, draw bar and the pins. In the PDF at the bottom of the post I've circled the parts I need to make.

The most complex part is the clamp. Below is the drawing from the download section and my pencil interpretations are at the bottom of the page. I'm making a composite part of welded pieces.

EM520682.JPG

So far I have this.

EM520697.JPG

It goes on the ways snugly and it clamps very well.

EM520698.JPG

Now what I'm unsure about is the fitment of the taper attachment body to the clamp. I plan to make the slot in another piece of plate and weld it to the clamp, like so...

EM520701.JPG

If I hold the rear plate in the center vertically of the clamp, I get about a 7/16" gap between the taper attachment body and the clamp. As far as I can tell this is normal, I think. I don't see a dimension for this on the drawing. If I hold the rear plate flush with the top weld I get a 3/8" gap to the taper attachment.

Below are a few more shots for clarity.

EM520695.JPG

EM520699.JPG

EM520700.JPG

EM520702.JPG

It looks like the rear plate could be made a little longer as well. But mainly I'm concerned with the gap between the clamp and the attachment. Will the gap there cause any kind of binding or play issues?

Also is the slot strictly necessary? Could I not simply drill a hole to connect these two parts? I'm assuming the fact that the clamp was slotted was so that the taper attachment could be made universal, and a slot would account for any small variations in manufacture of these machines and models.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Atlas No. 700 Taper Attachment.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
I have a complete 700. Let me look into what you need and I’ll do my best to help you out.

Derek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey that's great! Thanks for taking the time!

FWIW, Atlas over the years made three different or slightly different taper attachments, the 700, 760 and 6822. The 760 and 6822 share no parts with the 700, which was also referred to as the Tool Room Taper Attachment. The main difference between the 760 and 6822 is that the 760 fit the 3/8" bed machines and the 6822 fit the 1/2" bed 12".

To answer your earlier question about the clamp slot, it doesn't necessarily have to be slotted all of the way out the rear end of the clamp leg but I would strongly recommend at least a partial slot to take care of the probability that the dovetail in the bottom of the 10-701A Bracket may not be or probably isn't exactly parallel to the carriage travel.

Also, the 10-705A Clamp leg should not touch nor support the tailstock end of the 10-702 Guide Bar. The Guide Bar runs in and should be supported by only the dovetail in the bottom of the 10-701A Bracket. The drawing is a little misleading in this case as it seems to show the cross section of the dovetail and of the Guide Bar as being 60 degrees (or 30 depending upon how you look at it) on the back side (away from the bed) and 90 degrees on the front side. Which is it?

So it would appear that the vertical placement of the leg on the 10-705A clamp is not critical. Just be sure that the sides of the slot are perpendicular to the surface of the bed when installed.

Back to you tonight with pics. Sorry. Got tied up.

10bf89a51e5b5611c9962efa99a9ebd3.jpg
c744ba2042765479c18e9e5f45a468dd.jpg
d2854c8dd63569409106f7f13ddae9eb.jpg
45fee141e7612baef4c3d9c77f5e4230.jpg

I’m pretty sure this is the 700. Let me reread what you need and I’ll get the details to you shortly.

Derek

The Guide Bar runs in and should be supported by only the dovetail in the bottom of the 10-701A Bracket. The drawing is a little misleading in this case as it seems to show the cross section of the dovetail and of the Guide Bar as being 60 degrees (or 30 depending upon how you look at it) on the back side (away from the bed) and 90 degrees on the front side. Which is it?

I get that the guide bar should only be supported by the dovetail in 10-701A but the later part of your observation eludes me. We're looking at the second page of the PDF, right? I not sure I understand completely to what you are referring.

Thanks for your patience.

Back