Seeking dimensions: 10L Lever Collet Closer

I do not have one of those closers (or lathe), but I have seen a few. You are calling the drive connection a gear. That is not necessarily correct. It might be a spline, of which there are many styles. All it really does is couple the spindle to the closer. Anything that would properly drive one part with the other would work. All that said, a company making lathes also makes and uses plenty of involute gears, so that is probably a good guess of what was used. But it isn't part of a gear train, it is essentially a spine drive, and does not need to be fancy at all...

I do not have one of those closers (or lathe), but I have seen a few. You are calling the drive connection a gear. That is not necessarily correct. It might be a spline, of which there are many styles. All it really does is couple the spindle to the closer. Anything that would properly drive one part with the other would work. All that said, a company making lathes also makes and uses plenty of involute gears, so that is probably a good guess of what was used. But it isn't part of a gear train, it is essentially a spine drive, and does not need to be fancy at all...

Bob,

It most certainly is part of the gear train, and is absolutely a gear. The "drive connection," as you call it, replaces the lathe's spindle gear, and is the drive gear that transfers power from the spindle into the gear train. Without this gear, there would be no motion in the machine anywhere but the spindle. The spindle gear designed for the collet closer has an extended sleeve on it with an internal keyway that drives the collet closer; this was an option from the factory, which my machine does not have. See the attached photo. This gear transfers power through the reversing gears and into the geartrain overall.

gear.png

I don't recall the specifics of the gear, but it's a 14.5 pitch angle with 40 teeth, I've got the DP and such written down somewhere around here.

Bob,

It most certainly is part of the gear train, and is absolutely a gear. The "drive connection," as you call it, replaces the lathe's spindle gear, and is the drive gear that transfers power from the spindle into the gear train. Without this gear, there would be no motion in the machine anywhere but the spindle. The spindle gear designed for the collet closer has an extended sleeve on it with an internal keyway that drives the collet closer; this was an option from the factory, which my machine does not have. See the attached photo. This gear transfers power through the reversing gears and into the geartrain overall.

View attachment 273910

I don't recall the specifics of the gear, but it's a 14.5 pitch angle with 40 teeth, I've got the DP and such written down somewhere around here.
Thanks for the pic, you are quite correct. If an extended gear drives the drawbar, then you will need to make or buy one.

If you get bored enough, could you possibly tell me the bolt size and pitch that holds your collet closer onto the machine? It seems to be 3/8, but I only have a 16tpi bolt, and it doesn't want to thread in. I'm not sure if this is grimy threads, or wrong pitch.

The thread chasing dial uses a 5/16-18 HHCS

The collet closer arm is mounted on a 3/8-16 thread on a 7/16 diameter headless stud which has a screwdriver slot in the end. It's similar to a shoulder bolt with the head cut off. It was apparently intended that the arm could just be slipped off the stud. My forward/reverse switch is mounted above this and is too close to allow the arm to slip off.

The thread chasing dial uses a 5/16-18 HHCS

The collet closer arm is mounted on a 3/8-16 thread on a 7/16 diameter headless stud which has a screwdriver slot in the end. It's similar to a shoulder bolt with the head cut off. It was apparently intended that the arm could just be slipped off the stud. My forward/reverse switch is mounted above this and is too close to allow the arm to slip off.

You're my hero right now! With a bit of tender loving care cleaning the threads up, I was able to get 3/8 and 5/16 bolts into each. You're not too far away, if we ever cross paths, I definitely owe you a beverage of your choosing. Thank you!

Back