Seeking help wiring drum switch to 240v split phase 4p cap start asian motor

r-mm

Registered
Registered
Hi all -

My 80's Enco came with what I believe to be the original motor, 2ph, 4p, 120/240, capacitor start motor. The only wiring information pertains to junction block settings.
I documented the current wiring in my top sketch.

I bought a Relay and Control Corp RS1A drum switch and would like to wire the motor to run both directions on 240v. I can do the work itself no problem but I do not know...

1. How to wire the capacitor
2. How to be sure I am pairing the correct groups of poles
3. That the "split phase" diagram on the switch is in fact the right one

Thank you for any help. I've tried to self educate before posting but the majority of responses cite the motor's wiring instructions and I can't even read the manufacturer name of my motor which I presume to be in Chinese characters.

Rus in CT

Photo Nov 21, 5 41 21 PM.jpgPhoto Nov 21, 5 41 28 PM.jpgPhoto Nov 26, 10 52 58 AM.jpgCapture.JPG

Let's go back and revisit the capacitor. Is it currently wired in to the motor or are the cap leads flying loose?
Normally the motor wires 5 and 6 represent the "start leg" which is the start winding, the start capacitor, and the internal centrifugal switch all in series.
So the cap should already be part of the start leg circuit if the factory wiring is intact.
If that's the case then wiring the drum switch will be a piece of cake- I can do a sketch for you
-Mark

Last edited:
Yes the cap is presently wired into the motor as I showed in my top diagram.

This should work for you:
Remove motor wire #6 from the terminal block and extend it to reach the drum switch as shown. Looks like there may be a white wire you could use.
If the motor direction is backwards from switch handle, swap motor wires 1 and 4, either at the motor or the switch
Make sure the machine is grounded for safety, including the drum switch case
-Mark
240furnas1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Your motor's internal diagram:
Note: the three start leg components may be arranged in any order
240voltmotorsl.jpeg

I tried to adapt your diagram to mine. I drew in the connection states of the drum switch. What do you think?

IMG_8118.jpg

Also: i approve of the 633csi :)

Daily drove an E30 for many years and always looking at 80s and 90s beemers.

Yep looks fine
I don't have the 633 anymore, but I had some fun with it
I really want a Mercedes slk before I kick the bucket :cupcake:
-M

This looks like it worked - thanks! I'm going to replace the capacitor and belts then wire it all up with new SO cable and be happy to have this step taken care of.

Back