Seeking Input From Fogbuster Owners

MontanaAardvark

Registered
Registered
This didn't work over in the general machining forum, so I'll try here.

I've been running a Fogbuster for a year now, and I keep bumping into places where it doesn't spray into the cut well enough. It's fine for thin stock and shallow cuts, but I regularly get into cuts where the spray gets blocked by part of the work piece. I have a Grizzly G0704 and there are only seem to be a couple of places that I can stick the magnetic holder for the Fogbuster nozzle. Essentially on the left, on the bottom of the motor speed control box, or on the right side of vertical slide.

Both places seem to end up with 6 or 8" to spray and come to the cutter at an angle that cuts off the spray on some cuts.

Has anyone been able to come up with a way to route the Fogbuster closer to the cutter? Maybe something in place of the long brass tube?

I can't see how I could put on those adjustable tubes like those used with flood coolant.

I don’t use a fog buster so I’m not familiar with how they operate, I use a cool mist I can put the nozzle at any angle and pressure I want to blow the chips out of a deep cut and cool the bit on a manual mill. I don’t get fog in the air, sometimes I just use air. Can you aim the nozzle straight down the side of the endmill into the cut ,you may have to go flood or make a nozzle that suits your needs .I’m guessing for cnc you want plenty of coolent under pressure to clear chips out and cool. You should be able to figure somthing out that works for you. Can you put the magnetic base on the vise ?.

Thanks for your input. Having it on the vise hasn't worked yet, but it might.

I don't run my system running real high speeds and feeds, but getting chips out of the way or keeping them from welding on to the cutter is always important. I just never seem to find a way to get the little tube on the thing pointed close to down the spindle, like you say.

I'm hoping someone comes along and says something like they modified it to use the flexible tubes or made a new mount or something.

I see the Kool Mist guys have something called a PortaMist that's like what I was thinking.

Very top left of pic is my cool mist nozzle, I can get it on the cutting tool if I want,
1088EE06-E50F-4681-9296-7C0381CD709F.jpeg
You should be able to rig somthing up, dose a fog buster have any pressure to it ?

The Fogbuster has a 6-8" long hard nozzle, correct? It sounds like you need to make your own bracket that allows you to point the tip at the end mill at as steep of angle as possible.

I have a G0704 that I converted to CNC. I built my own fog less system and used a 1/8" ID Lock Line with a 1/16" push to connect hose inside of it for the nozzle. I set the nozzle so that it's pointing down the side of the end mill at 45-60 degrees and within 1/2". It does a great job even when I'm slotting or pocketing.

Last edited:
while I don't have G0704 (any more) I do use a brand name Fog Buster. I used to use a Cool Mist system but I much prefer the pressurised feed instead of the venturi pickup. Anyway, I understand your problem. You may have to build some sort of bracket to give you more positioning options. I I use the model that has two spray nozzles. It is not unusual for one or the other to be blocked by the vice or the part or hold-down brackets or something but rarely both at the same time. I also found a way to mount them so I can get them very close to the cutter. Most of the time they are aimed down at about 45deg angle or sometimes as vertical as I can get and almost always within a few inches of the cutter. I know the G0704 does not give you many options for the stock magnetic base but you probably can find some way to make or fit a bracket.

The Fogbuster has a 6-8" long hard nozzle, correct? It sounds like you need to make your own bracket that allows you to point the tip at the end mill at as steep of angle as possible.

Right. It seems to be the drawback to the Fogbuster is that there's no way to put a Loc-Line bendable hose on it.

Impressive video, BTW. Interesting tool paths, too, cutting a curve where a straight side goes and then milling away the portions that aren't the straight side.

while I don't have G0704 (any more) I do use a brand name Fog Buster. I used to use a Cool Mist system but I much prefer the pressurised feed instead of the venturi pickup. Anyway, I understand your problem. You may have to build some sort of bracket to give you more positioning options. I I use the model that has two spray nozzles. It is not unusual for one or the other to be blocked by the vice or the part or hold-down brackets or something but rarely both at the same time. I also found a way to mount them so I can get them very close to the cutter. Most of the time they are aimed down at about 45deg angle or sometimes as vertical as I can get and almost always within a few inches of the cutter. I know the G0704 does not give you many options for the stock magnetic base but you probably can find some way to make or fit a bracket.

My situation is complicated because I left the drill press parts on - the handle, digital readout of depth, and moving parts. I find it handy for the times I need a better drill press than my drill press. Either the drill press handle or the Z-axis lock under the speed control box pretty much always get in the way.

I hadn't thought of upgrading my Fogbuster to two sprayers, though. I wonder if they sell a way to do that?

I have a G0704 that I converted to CNC. I built my own fog less system and used a 1/8" ID Lock Line with a 1/16" push to connect hose inside of it for the nozzle. I set the nozzle so that it's pointing down the side of the end mill at 45-60 degrees and within 1/2". It does a great job even when I'm slotting or pocketing.

Great minds think alike :) I built one just like it about 3 or 4 years ago, separately adjustable fluid and air flow. For deep pocketing, I turn up the air a bit. Works really well.

Back