Seeking reliable nickel-plating service

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
Can anyone recommend a metal plating shop that is known to be good, attentive to detail, with fair prices and reasonable turnaround times? I just acquired an old lathe bed for a watchmaker's lathe...so it's very small: about 11" long, 2" diameter. It's about 140 years old, so the nickel plating has seen better days. I have a gorgeous universal headstock of the same age, but with immaculate nickel plating and I thought it would be nice to have a bed with matching nickel. It's small enough that I could mail it anywhere (heck, it was mailed to me via my eBay purchase).

Thanks!
...Doug

Yes, I do. They have done gold, nickel and anodize for me. I haven't needed them recently, but we go back about 20 years or so. Always satisfied.

Yes, I do. They have done gold, nickel and anodize for me. I haven't needed them recently, but we go back about 20 years or so. Always satisfied.

Thank you very much Tony. I'll take your recommendation, they look fully professional. Can't wait to amend this thread with "before" and "after" pictures!
...Doug

I've been in contact with Surface Techniques via email. I provided them with digital photos so they know what I want. They quoted me $95.00 for the job, that includes masking off of the areas I don't want plated. I think that's a very fair price! So I'm going to pack it up and get it into the mail to them in the next day or so. And, they have a 5 to 7 day turnaround, too which is pretty darned good.
OK, I have the "before" pictures, I can't wait to take some "after" pictures! Yahoo!

Because of my job I have been looking for a place like this too. Thanks for the link. Oh, for those who need it, they do gun parts too! how cool is that?

Karl

Because of my job I have been looking for a place like this too. Thanks for the link. Oh, for those who need it, they do gun parts too! how cool is that?

Karl

I packed up my lathe and shipped it off to Plating Techniques last Thursday. Hopefully, it reached them yesterday. I can't wait to see my "new-looking" watchmaker's lathe! I'll be posting before & after pictures here when I get it back.
...Doug

You can tell them I referred you if you like. It's been a while, and I won't throw out their names here, but I used to speak directly with the owners. The people you are talking to may not have been there when I was sending work, or they may have grown to the point they have hired more people to handle sales. It's a small world in the oilfield machining and associated services businesses....so they may well be the same.

If you don't mind, PM me the contact info you have been using.

You can tell them I referred you if you like. It's been a while, and I won't throw out their names here, but I used to speak directly with the owners. The people you are talking to may not have been there when I was sending work, or they may have grown to the point they have hired more people to handle sales. It's a small world in the oilfield machining and associated services businesses....so they may well be the same.

If you don't mind, PM me the contact info you have been using.

PM sent, Tony. Thanks again for the recommendation - they seem extremely capable.
...Doug

Back