Seeking vertical mill donation for Hawaiin Railway Non profit

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all,

The Hawaiian Railway Society is in desperate need of a vertical milling machine donation to support their Oahu Railway operation and historical restoration efforts. They have two decent lathes, a SB 9 and a nice, older Cincinnati Tray-Top 18” x 72” lathe, a restored, fantastic Buffalo 22” camelback drill press, massive hydrolic press, shear machine and several grinders and welders. However, no milling capacity. Somehow these all went away when the sugar mills closed and almost NO used machine tools now exist in the Islands.

The HRS operates a 6 mile (12 mile RT) historic narrow gauge railway in Leeward Oahu, between Eva Beach and Ko Olina, and an open air, working Hawaii railway museum, back shop, and yard storage area, that visitors can tour and lend a hand working in, if they wish. Iam actually volunteering in the back shops for two months this winter, helping them organize and re arrange their machine shop.

The museum and working Railway is run mostly by volunteers, and has done some impressive work restoring Hawaii’s early day railroading history. Both 1880’s steam locomotives, and 19th century, WW 2 diesel locomotives and rolling stock are being restored and returned to service.

7692C620-96AE-4B2A-8A65-A6E535608071.jpeg

7467FDB3-C828-4F6A-9E4F-E34FCA0B5BD7.jpeg

BFCD735D-E3AC-4A76-8F29-2DB686236235.jpeg5649B806-A86C-4EAC-9855-C8D3D8144527.jpeg

One pressing need is the roundhouse is looking for a decent vertical milling machine donation on the mainland that we might be able to ship to Oahu to equip the society’s back-shop.

35BE0E27-EB27-4F8A-80C5-D157C7E77028.jpeg

DFAF5C46-3F42-43DE-AE81-C51B7E2C965E.jpeg

If you know of anyone, or some organization, that might be willing to donate a mill, or c9ntribute to shipping costs, please let me know.

Thanks much,

Glenn

Interesting . The guy that just bought some tool holders is restoring the Freedom Train Steam Locomotive out in Oregon !

Have you checked with the Navy. Thinking there might be some machinery at Pearl that might be had for a good local cause. Might give a call to the base CO. Mike

I have a milling machine that i would donate, but i think that the shipping costs might be prohibitive for a 2,800 lb mill
(https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/g-dufour-universal-milling-machine.24618/post-423769)
G.Dufour 53 model
i have a full set of NMTB#40 toolholders included for the Railway- if it goes there
132.jpg129.jpg

there is some problems to the auto feeds too, which might not make it ideal.
but if someone really needs it and we can somehow get it there- i'm in

Last edited:
Mike,
Yes, we are on the Navy surplus list. Nothing on the immediate horizon. Also have an appointment to go talk to the Hickman Aviation Museum on Ford Island, and the USS Missouri association next door. Both are volunteer run non prodit organizations. Sometimes they hear about upcoming equipment phase outs...

Ulma Doctor,

May thanks for the offer of a donation. I will go speak with the RR Museum VP for maintenance on Tuesday to see what they can support for shipping costs. I received a prelim estimate for a machine for a similair machine from Oakland terminal to Honolulu of $1375. But the Society here on Oahu might be able to ask for a discount from a local shipper. Worth following up. A go fund me drive might very much help. Non profits usually don’t have 2 nickels to rub together... What would it take to fix the auto feeds?

Richard, thanks for Tom Dou’s name and the lead. I will coordinate with the Maintenance chief about contacting him. Much appreciate the lead!

Glenn

Last edited:
I'm sure Bill from Oregon will be joining this site very soon . He is restoring that locomotive I spoke about above . He has bought and is buying more tools from mmcmdl on the bay and I told him he needed to check out HM . Lets hope we get another member ! Welcome Bill ! ( when you log on ) . :drink:

Back