seized spindle bearings

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not happy Jan. (any Aussies here will get that)
Almost finished milling the cross slide extension when the lathe wouldnt start again.
The spindle bearings appear to have seized, the head stock was hot.
I let it cool down and when I manually rotated the chuck it was stiff and I could feel a roughness in the bearing so I'm assuming its stuffed.
Its only around 6 years old but I must admit I have hammered it a bit.
Now the main question -
How difficult is it replacing the bearings?
Any hints or tips available? (other than the rebuilding a 9x20 manual)

Not good news Charles. and of course not happy Jan. Do you have an owners manual, or any drawings of the insides I'm guessing you will have to take the top off and see what the go is. did it make any noises leading up to the event. I will happily send you copies of my manual, but I suspect there are too many differences. But i'm sure there are others her with generic 9x20 as you call it.

Good luck.

Struth cobber sounds like the bearings might be cactus .
Can you get the lid off to have a sticky beak on the inside and see what's going on in the cog box .
In all fairness I've not had one apart but I don't think there would be a great deal to changing them .
Caution would be needed when fitting new bearings onto shaft or into housing a induction heater maybe required if they are a tight fit on shaft and be vigilant with the preload setting depending on type of bearing used and periodically check it after running a few times .
Do you have a diagram on break down of unit
If your wondering yes I am Australian to but not lived there for years lol

Freeze the shaft and heat the bearings?
Is this a gear head or a plain head? Post a pic please, I've not had my coffee yet and am not up to searching.
And now on a serious note, I have my cuppa, and am going to go read TomS' attachment. (Anyone seen my reading glasses?)

thanks for the pdf, very informative

That sucks! You've done a lot of high quality work on that lathe. Hope you get it back in working order real soon.

TomS, i read the pdf and found it very interesting and informative. Very nice find and offer of assistance. :encourage:

This is as complicated as it gets.
. His touch on bearing clearance is worth watching . Mine was much easier. On my Taiwanese generic 1224 , when I changed the belt and bearing seals, I did the spindle bearings for no other reason than I was there. Pulling the spindle was fairly easy, getting the rest of the stuff out of the way was a little more difficult.. If your bearings are cup and cone , Timken style, like mine, it's same as doing the bearings on a trailer. When they made these lathes, they made the fits on the loose side, easier to build, making repair also easy. I used the freezer and a heat lamp, but I likely could got away without.

no, this is a very basic lathe.
The pdf from TomS is spot on with pics and information that I would not have considered.

Back