seized spindle bearings

Once you have the old bearings out, be sure to check that the oilers atop the headstock really do connect to the bearing area. I've seen reports about some 9x20s where the oilers simply dead-ended, and oil never got to the bearings. Best of luck with your repairs!

Hmm, no oilers on this machine.
That was going to be my next question once I had the spindle out and had a good look whether grease or oiler points would be worth it.

That was going to be my next question once I had the spindle out and had a good look whether grease or oiler points would be worth it.
I know mine is same no such oil feed lines as per what I watched in Downwinds video .but going buy the video posted it is quite informative for future reference .

If remember right, those bearings were on what I call a K taper. The bearing clearances are reduced by tightening the wedge action of the taper. They are common in industry. Unless we get a semi professional lathe, we are not going to see them. Those bearing cost more than our lathes. Watch his touch on setting the bearings.

I put in a bid on a Standard Modern that had been run out of oil. I'm kind of glad I came in third, close but no $2000 bearing bill over the bid price.

Last edited:
If remember right, those bearings were on what I call a K taper. The bearing clearances are reduced by tightening the wedge action of the taper. They are common in industry. Unless we get a semi professional lathe, we are not going to see them. Those bearing cost more than our lathes. Watch his touch on setting the bearings.

I put in a bid on a Standard Modern that had been run out of oil. I'm kind of glad I came in third, close but no $2000 bearing bill over the bid price.
Yes that style of tapper to set preload is quite coo on in mining on conveyor Plummer blocks we used to set up the same by pulling the tapper into inner race making it expand for preload .

Quite possibly you were on a win not getting the lathe that had been run dry that could be a bit pricey to repair

I don't know if my G-1550 (Grizzly) is exactly the same as your's. But, as a 9X19 Taiwanese should be close.

I have had the spindle out several times. While I was fitting stuff, not for failure. On the outboard left side, there is a locknut, with locking grub screw. A spanner was included in the factory tool kit just for this. With that nut off, removing the pulley and miscellaneous shim pieces should be a piece of cake.

Using a scrap of 2X4, hammer the spindle out the chuck end. On mine, it just slid out. With damaged bearings, it may need a little force.

They are tapered roller bearings, similar to trailer wheels. Just smaller... ... If you replace the rollers, you should replace both races. In my book, anyway. Removal of the races you will be on your own. Replacing the spindle, I used the same locking proceedure as wheel bearings. Snub it up and then back off one notch of the lock nut. Time would be on the order of 1 Hr plus parts.

Bill Hudson​

Still, it was a Standard Modern with all the accessories.
Yeah, most definitely. But, how long was it operated 'dry', probably until it seized & stopped.
Like that auction that I posted back in January, they look like one heck of a quality lathe. I'd take one.
Those (10) went for 2k - 4k in rough condition.

if you freeze the spindle,you will find droplets of water under the bearings and in the radius space next time you try to pull the bearings.....Freezing works ok on motorbike bearings,but the motors get hot enough to boil off the water.....lathes dont.

Just took a photo of mine. Note the ball oilers on the top surface of the headstock. I know that at least one of them works, because I get a drool of oil below the spindle for a few days after oiling. But as we'd discussed (offline), your 9x20 differs from my G4000 ... among other things, the location of the handwheel on the carriage. Hope you can get the headstock lube issue worked out.

PS - If you need Grizzly or GITS ball oilers, let me know!
kHPIM5707.jpg

Back