• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Self Watering Green Bean Machine

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
I scored 12 food grade 55 gallon barells for free.This is my seconed build project. lf anyone is interrested I took pictures as I went along and can post more.
*********Gator********

Green Bean Machine 001.jpg Green Bean Machine 023.jpg Green Bean Machine 024.jpg

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Nice...

My green beans are doing great this year and have picked many for meals. They're great.

Ray

Marco Bernardini

Active User
Registered
That of the barrels is a cool idea!
Next spring I'll try to grow my own snap peas in that way: I love them, but in this area they are not very used.

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
That looks like it would work very well. If it's your own idea you might be interested in submitting it to Make magazine - http://makezine.com/. It'd be cool to see it in there.

-Ron

Marco Bernardini

Active User
Registered
An improvement: if you place the barrel over a pallet, you can move it wherever you want.

Whyemier

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Interesting but not sure how it works.

We planted field peas (zippers, crowders and such) and okra. The field peas took awhile to produce but the wife has canned over 50 quarts from our little patch. We get enough okra for her to add to stews and fry up a batch now and again. Only way I really like okra is pickled or fried. Get about a dozen a day from the patch.

SANY0005.JPG

SANY0005.JPG

chips&more

Active User
Registered
If I only could grow things like you guys have. If I tried, it would be like buffet food for the deer, wild rabbits, turkeys and other native critters around here.

Last edited:

conibear

Registered
Registered
My wife is interested in your green bean machine and would like to know is the lower pipe in the barrel for watering and is there drain holes in the bottom of the barrel. Also did you fill the bottom half of the barrel with rocks or is it full of soil. Linda uses wooden frames in the garden,but they take up a lot of space. TKS Dave

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
OK since you asked I'll post the pictures.
First I layed out and cut the holes for the "Wicks" and the center pole.
Then I cut the top of the barrel off and cut the ring off and cut some wedges from the sides so it would fit in the bottom. Then drilled some extra drain holes in the top of the new bottom.
Then I cut some larger pipe for the wick tubes. Slash cut on bottom for water and cotten sock filled with potting mix stuffed inside. Removed bung plugs and added fill tube{W/slash cut} and extra cotten tee shirt for another wick.
Filled barrel with more potting mix in three stages wetting with water between layers.
Drilled holes in the top of barrel for the strings and made a ring for the top out of old pice of stainless. 28 holes in barrel 14 holes in top ring.
Ran all the strings then moved into sunny spot in yard. Then drilled four drain holes 1" below the bottom of the inside piece to allow air flow for the roots.Added water to fill tube till it ran out the drains.{About 15 gallons} and planted the beans.
Four days later the beans have doubled in size.I will add some mulch to the top when they get a little bigger.
Next project will be a worm farm composter.
Any questions feel free to ask.
*******Thanks for Looking********Gator**********
:eek:uch:

Green Bean Machine 002.jpg Green Bean Machine 003.jpg Green Bean Machine 004.jpg Green Bean Machine 006.jpg Green Bean Machine 008.jpg Green Bean Machine 011.jpg Green Bean Machine 013.jpg Green Bean Machine 015.jpg

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Haaah.... love the dogs playing tug of war. Which one won?

Ray

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Ray, Thats a fight that never ends.They will play with that then drop it to chase frogs or bark at squirrels then a dip in the pool followed by a quick game of chase around the house and then a short nap under my feet till they wake up and start again. Like is never dull when you got two dogs. ***********Dog Days Of Summer*********Gator**************:allgood:

conibear

Registered
Registered
Gator Great info. The wife is dragging the barrels from the barn now.

TKS Conibear

Marco Bernardini

Active User
Registered
If you put a stick with a floater sticking out of the watering pipe (a sort of oil dipstick) you can even check the water level from a distance.
BTW, what about a pipe connecting the gutters to the water reservoir?

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Dave, Glad you and Linda can make use of my build. Any questions you have you can always shoot me a Private Message and I will try to help. Marco, In my part of Florida at this time of year lack of water is not a issue. In fact it's too much water due to daily rain that can drown the plants. 15 gallons of water in the bottom should last for a week with no rain.But I do like the floating water gauge and keep it in mind. *********Thanks All***********Gator***********
:blues:n

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Season Two,
garden 023 (Small).jpg
This is two weeks after planting.
garden 028 (Small).jpg
And at three weeks.
garden 029 (Small).jpg
Starting to flower at three and a half weeks.
garden 022 (Small).jpg
It worked so well I made smaller versions for the tomatoes.
Next week I will make some more 5 gallon buckets into self watering cans.
******More Later***********Gator****************

garden 023 (Small).jpg garden 012 (Small).jpg garden 012 (Small).jpg garden 028 (Small).jpg garden 029 (Small).jpg garden 022 (Small).jpg

savarin

Active User
Hi Gator, have you considered getting into aquaponics?
Awesome plant growth plus edible fish.
(pics available if required)

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
I'v been looking into it and saving up all the bits and pieces I need for the project.
The instructions I have for the system are fairly complicated but still doable.
Here are some pictures of my poor mans seed starter.
garden 045 (Small).jpg
It's just the plastic container some cupcakes came in .
garden 047 (Small).jpg
Just punch some holes in the bottom add dirt and seeds and more dirt to cover.
garden 048 (Small).jpg
Then just water and close the top and wait till your seeds come up and transplant.
garden 049 (Small).jpg
When these pop up I'll add a picture.
*G*

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Six days later I have beans.
garden 050 (Small).jpg
Unlike you guys up north still getting snow it's been real nice down here.
garden 052 (Small).jpg
By the look of things I'm going to have to get the canning jars out.
garden 054 (Small).jpg
The swiss chard is doing great.
garden 055 (Small).jpg

No flowers on the tomato's yet but they are growing an inch or two a day.
I have to make ten more self watering buckets up for the rest of the starters.
The good thing is there is a bakery with in walking distance that I can get food grade buckets from.
***More next week**********G********

jpfabricator

Active User
How about the peppers Gator?

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Grumpy Gator

Swarf
Former Member
Sorry for the delay .Dealing with SS has taken a lot of my time lately.
Jake, I still got some ghost peppers growing from last year. I will start some seeds in a few weeks so they can grow through the heat of the summer here. It helps the plant grow hotter peppers.
My poor mans seed starter is kicking butt.
green bean machine 041 (Small).jpg
green bean machine 042 (Small).jpg
Trying some thing new "Mustard Spinach " I do love my greens.

The tomatoes are the size of golf balls now and at last count there was 50 of them.
I'm gathering bits and peaces together to build an aqua- ponics system.

More on that as it develops.
*G*

[6]
[5] [7]