selling advice for Atlas Craftsman lathe components

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have the remains of a donor lathe. It's an Atlas Craftsman 101.07403. My questions is should I sell them piece by piece or as an assembly?

Here's what I have:
lathe parts 1.jpg
Carriage parts and tailstock.

lathe parts 2.jpg
Back gear and some covers

lathe parts 3.jpg
Base with legs and leadscrew (hard to see)

Everything has been cleaned of grease and gunk. The rust is just surface rust.

You will get more money selling them individually, it might take years to do though. If you want to get rid of them sell them as a lot, cheap. Still may take time.

I was thinking another option is to sell the parts as small assemblies. For example, sell the carriage as one assembly, rather than break it up into smaller parts.

The base is actually 3 parts: the two feet and the bed. I thought I'd sell all three together. But it occurs to me that someone might have a lathe that is too short and all they'd need is the bed, not the feet.

Ebay. This forum. Also look for atlas/craftsman user groups and any online machining website to place ads. It could take awhile to sell all of it. But you never know.

I was thinking another option is to sell the parts as small assemblies. For example, sell the carriage as one assembly, rather than break it up into smaller parts.

In your case I would go this route. Some of the individual parts that sell for premium prices are handles/handwheels and most of yours appear broken.
For eBay you also have to consider that the fees you pay to them and PayPal also apply to the shipping charges so the more packages it is broken up into the more it will eat into your total. The bed will be prohibitive to ship so try to sell local.

It depends if your purpose is max profit, or speedily removing the items from your residence. I’ve scrapped, sold, and given away just about anything dependent on which purpose was most important to me.

Off the cuff, I suggest throwing away anything that’s broken, and selling assemblies as assemblies, and parts as parts. But if you have the space, I’d box it up, and put it out of the way. You never know what you may need in a year or two. Things break.

It depends if your purpose is max profit, or speedily removing the items from your residence. I’ve scrapped, sold, and given away just about anything dependent on which purpose was most important to me.

Off the cuff, I suggest throwing away anything that’s broken, and selling assemblies as assemblies, and parts as parts. But if you have the space, I’d box it up, and put it out of the way. You never know what you may need in a year or two. Things break.
Some serious wisdom here. One of the nicest lathes I looked at when I was shopping was a rebuilt South Bend. The real hook to it was that there was at least 1 replacement for every part on the machine and some of them had 2 spares. The guy had picked up 3 lathes in various states of disrepair and put them together on the best bed of the bunch. He had the spares boxed up in wooden ammo crates. There were 5 or 6 of them. All the parts had been cleaned and slathered with cosmoline for a rainy day.

It was more money than I could afford to spend but would have been worth every penny of it.

Your best bet price wise might be the legs: they've become popular for tables with folks that don't own lathes. I'd try to sell the
carriage, tailstock and compound as sub assemblies and the rest as parts. Be realistic about prices: you're competing with all
those folks on eBay selling the same sort of stuff.

Back