Semi-universal dividing head

And I am on a 8520, but was looking at the 4 and 5 inch units. I hadn't considered a drive system for some reason, even tho' I had seen a setup on youtube that had a driven setup. I began looking at the BS-0 size / style and have started reading / learning and then this thread "popped up" so it's almost perfect timing!

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Quality machine has the smaller one listed too. They will work with you on the price if you deal with them direct without going thru eBay.

I have a TM*,(Tool Master brand),6" BS-1. I think it may be made in China. The number stamping on the protractor could be better but then I'm 1/2 blind. Mine has a MT3 in the spindle which suits me as my mill/drill has MT3 as well. I have no problem turning the handle a few times 40:1 doesn't take long. Has the indexing holes at 15* as standard. Came with three plates, tailstock and dog. I use the chuck that came with my rotary table. For the price I think it is a bargain and it is smooth and a pleasure to use. I did have to mill the horizontal mounting slots and the table keys a bit as the spacing was for a table with M 14 slots and mine is M 12.
I would dearly love a BS-2 but just too far above my pay grade.
34_40,
I've attached a booklet with information on the B&S BS-0, BS-1 and BS-2 which I hope will be of use.

Attachments

• B&S Type Dividing Head.pdf
    8.2 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I have a BS0, it's described as semi universal. The worm can be disengaged and there is a plate and pin for direct indexing behind the threaded spindle nose. No shaft for external gears. Mine is marked Taiwan. I bought it about 10 years ago so perhaps they are not all the same. It has a BS9? taper, almost but not quite MT2.

Reactions: jcp
I
34_40,
I've attached a booklet with information on the B&S BS-0, BS-1 and BS-2 which I hope will be of use.

Thank You so much! I've saved it and will digest (read) it later tonite! That's very nice of you. Thanks Again.

I looked hard at the universal that Matt sells on his website, but I don't think I would use it's ability to cut spiral flutes enough to justify the price. So I recently acquired one of his BS-1 semis and that will fit the bill nicely for what I want.

My only regret now is that the table on my 935 is not realistically long enough to keep both the indexer and my vise mounted on the table like we had at my mentor's shop. Kinda got spoiled by that 50" table on his Comet I guess. :)

But being a poor hobbyist, I will just have to settle for switching them out when needed.

Note to Self: Get a decent roll around cart to put the BS-1 on. At 90 lbs I can foresee a time when I don't want to attempt to carry that thing very far.

Have you tried AliExpress.com this is Asian/ Chinese, but quality is good and likely the source your seeing on eBay.
There are several vendors on Ebay that sell semi-universal dividing head sets. They all appear to be from the same manufacture and around $320.00. Has anyone here purchased one of these? What is your appraisal of them? I would post a link but I'm not sure that's within the rules.

Jim
Have you tried AliExpress.com this is Asian/ Chinese, but quality is good and likely the source your seeing on eBay. Shipping is the stumbling block

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Thanks to all that replied.....still ringing my hands in indecision.

Thanks to all that replied.....still ringing my hands in indecision.

Same here! I'll be awaiting your decision and if I can get a bonus from work, I might be able to purchase one this year.

Back