Seneca Falls 9" Lathe

Hello and welcome:)

I have a Star lathe and it's pretty good for what it is. Doesn't turn real fast but mine has a taper attachment and I've fixed it up a bit.
Here's a photo:

View attachment 358458

Yours is probably a 9" which is a decent size for a hobby machine. The South Bend book will cover most of the stuff you need to know, just take it slow and pay attention to shop safety.

This forum is a great resource but be careful, we're awfully good at spending your money;)

John
Thanks John, That sure looks a lot like the lathe I have. I've used it for minor things over the twenty years I have had it, but now I would Like to really do more complicated things.
By the way, mine does not have a cover for the gears. If you come across one I would sure would like to have one. Cheers, Chuck

I had mine for about ten years before I decided to fix it up, I mostly used it to clean up parts for my kart engine building business.

Knowing what I do now I kinda wish I had sold it and bought something newer and more capable. The slow spindle speed and lack of a QCGB can be limiting in a lot of ways I didn’t appreciate a few years back. It is a decent hobby lathe but I’d do some research before pouring money into it.

John

Chuck, I have a SF 9" that is very similar but a few years older than yours going by the location of your threading plate and the banjo being mounted on the leadscrew bracket.
I do have the original cast iron legs but it is currently mounted on a steel frame with a chip tray.
I also have the compound but for normal turning I use the solid tool post mount for a little extra rigidity.
I started keeping track of serial numbers back when the Yahoo SF group was still alive so would be interested in what the serial number on your machine is?
If it hasn't been removed with a bed regrind it should be stamped on the top of the ways on the RH end of the bed - my machine is 4641.
I have done many threads with mine (including some metric using some 3D printed conversions gears) so happy to help with that aspect of using it.
I have a couple of much more capable lathes but I still like playing with the old SF now and again - it was quite advanced way back when having powered longitudinal and cross-feed.

Ray

IMG_2623.JPG

I had mine for about ten years before I decided to fix it up, I mostly used it to clean up parts for my kart engine building business.

Knowing what I do now I kinda wish I had sold it and bought something newer and more capable. The slow spindle speed and lack of a QCGB can be limiting in a lot of ways I didn’t appreciate a few years back. It is a decent hobby lathe but I’d do some research before pouring money into it.

John
The top speed on my 9" Seneca Falls Star #20 machine is about 700 rpm. As for the lack of a QCGB I don't find it limiting at all. In fact, it can cut more thread variations than many modern machines. Over the years I've made hundreds of internal and external threads with the machine. Everything from garden hose fittings to screw tops for gallon plastic bottles to chuck back plates. It may be a bit slower, but this is a hobby not a job shop

I have a similar lathe, a Monarch 9"Jr., it does have a QCGB and runs up to 650 RPM with the line shaft setup and motor that came to me; I do not find that speed range limiting, there is no need for carbide tools on machines such as these.

I don't know if it's been mentioned to you but these lathes have a design issue . You can engage the power cross slide & the half nuts at the same
time , so keep that in mind . If you forget & if your lucky you will just destroy the brass key that is in the worm gear in the apron that slides in the lead screw groove . If your not lucky you can be looking for gears or a right side lead screw support . Most of the supports I have seen have been repaired . I need a new thrust bearing for the left side of the spindle for mine , but it's a bastard size & after a few yearts of looking I bought a bag of 3/16 bearings & will replace the bearings in the cage . When I took my spindle apart several of the thrust bearing balls were in several pieces . If you need any pointers on dissambling the head stock assy let me know .
animal

I don't know if it's been mentioned to you but these lathes have a design issue . You can engage the power cross slide & the half nuts at the same
time , so keep that in mind . If you forget & if your lucky you will just destroy the brass key that is in the worm gear in the apron that slides in the lead screw groove

Wow!
Almost begs for a plastic key.....just in case.
Brian

Nice Lathe ..Seneca Falls, I'll have to build a bench or find the iron legs for my mine.no pics yet. But mine has the gear box .nice original paint.

These days yu almost have to take a second mortgage on your house to buy pair . Evedryone wants them for other uses .
animal

Back