Seneca Falls change gear question ?

jpackard56

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Does anybody have or know where can I find the gear combinations for a Seneca Falls 9 x 4ft (Star #20 I think)?
The last patent date of six showing is Nov 14 16. The number on the way is # *916801
It does not have any threading plate or chart on it (if it ever did)
The gears I have are 3/4 bore keyed and 9/16 wide. Very good chance I don't have the correct ones to do a 12-thread per inch.
That will be my search after I find the correct combination.... Thanks,
Jim

Back in shop, very cold out here about 15° f
By my shaking hand holding thread gauge the lead screw is 12 threads per inch

You should be able to use a chart for most any other lathe, and divide by the difference in ratio between its lead screw and yours. In the case of the 12TPI that you want to cut, the ratio of gearing between the spindle and lead screw should be 1:1.

Does anybody have or know where can I find the gear combinations for a Seneca Falls 9 x 4ft (Star #20 I think)?
The last patent date of six showing is Nov 14 16. The number on the way is # *916801
It does not have any threading plate or chart on it (if it ever did)
The gears I have are 3/4 bore keyed and 9/16 wide. Very good chance I don't have the correct ones to do a 12-thread per inch.
That will be my search after I find the correct combination.... Thanks,
Jim
Might want to check with @projectnut
here's his post from back in '16.

Here's a link to the Seneca Falls publications on the Vintage Machinery website:

I know at least catalog 27 has a list of the change gears for a #20 on page 41. According to my threading chart it takes 4 gears to cut 12 threads per inch.

The top gear (stud) is 48 teeth

The intermediate shaft (Inter) has 2 gears. The outer gear has 60 teeth, and the inner gear has 40 teeth

The lead screw gear (screw) has 32 teeth

The words in parenthesis are the labels on the brass chart at the bottom of the headstock.

Talk about fast results !
Thanks guys, now I've got some good info. to noodle with.

Back