Seneca Falls Star #30 lathe Resto-Mod

Hello everyone, I believe this is my first post. I am the owner of this fabulous machine and I am in complete awe of how it turned out. I never thought it would turned out so well.

I just re-read a number of the posts and like it even more!

Hopefully you enjoyed this thread as I have enjoyed being involved in this build.

"Project of the Month" was definitely EARNED by @derf !

-brino

With the color coded gears.
I’m obviously missing something. I thought the spindle motor drive eliminated the need for the gears? If not, what’s the advantage?

Yeah, you did miss something. Re-read the first sentence of what you quoted. The powered lead screw is used in GENERAL turning. You still need the gear train to cut threads.

Yeah, you did miss something. Re-read the first sentence of what you quoted. The powered lead screw is used in GENERAL turning. You still need the gear train to cut threads.
That makes more sense, although I still don’t see the advantage of a separate drive except maybe to allow limit switches?

I think you missed the fact that this lathe has manual change gears, and not a QCGB. With manual change gears, they have to be manually switched out to change feed rates. For example: if I were turning something to size, I might want .015" per rev to rough out, and .003" per rev to finish. If I were using the gear train, I would have to manually change the gears to accomplish this. By bypassing the gear train and using an electric driven lead screw, I can adjust the feed with a twist of a knob. General turning is about 90% of a lathes use. Besides that, it takes wear and tear off the gear train and is lots quieter. The limit switch is a bonus.
One aspect that probably gets overlooked, is the fact that the half nut can still used to feed, and is 2.77 times faster than the power feed rate. This means that in that mode, the speed of the screw can still be adjusted for a roughing cut, and then be changed over to the power feed for a finer cut. It's like 2 speeds and infinitely adjustable.
Believe me.....if you had a chance to run this machine, you'll wonder why yours is not set up the same way!:idea:

Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to the next project.

Great work on upgrading this ole girl, old iron is still super to have. You have a nice machine now , I can see the time spent doing it all up the best it could be . Good job guys

Back