Separating chuck

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'd really like to get internal and clean the scroll/ring gear. Tips? Looks like a taper pin probably. I haven't used much persuasion yet. TIA. 20230326_095420.jpg

Mount it to your lathe. Then mount a hefty bar in the chuck with enough stick out for you to grab comfortably. Use the bar in the chuck as leverage and slowly work the chuck off the register.
have never seen alignment pins on chuck backplate kind of doesn’t make sense to me. Jacking screw threads yeah, alignment pins no.

Mount it to your lathe. Then mount a hefty bar in the chuck with enough stick out for you to grab comfortably. Use the bar in the chuck as leverage and slowly work the chuck off the register.
have never seen alignment pins on chuck backplate kind of doesn’t make sense to me. Jacking screw threads yeah, alignment pins no.
Decided I've got bigger dogs to kick today, diesel flush and compressed air.

Decided I've got bigger dogs to kick today, diesel flush and compressed air.
A man after my own heart! At least you went that route before you had it 1/2 apart!

If you decided to pick this up again, and you couldn't wrestle it off as Cadillac suggested, is there a chance you could tap those counterbores deep enough to use for jackscrews?

A man after my own heart! At least you went that route before you had it 1/2 apart!

If you decided to pick this up again, and you couldn't wrestle it off as Cadillac suggested, is there a chance you could tap those counterbores deep enough to use for jackscrews?
It crossed my mind

It is a chuck for an indexer that I just bought, and while it actually does fit my lathe, which was a bonus because my 6in lathe chuck Jaws are not reversible. It wasn't something that HAD to be done now.

It might be possible to install some longer-than-original screws into the counterbored holes in the back of the chuck. leaving the heads a bit proud. Then if you hit them with s dead-blow hammer, the momentum of the backplate might start a separation. After that, you might be able to use a wedge or screwdriver blade to persusade the backplate the rest of the way off.

Once you get the backplate off, you can add some threaded holes for jacking screws.

:D “…bigger dogs to kick today…” — love it!

Back