Series Ii 4j 4-hp Vari-drive Bushings

ToolChatter

Registered
Registered
Hi folks,

I'm trying to address my very noisy vari-drive. I have the motor and top cover off, but now I'm having these issues:

1) Can't get the top bearing off of the driven pulley shaft. Seems to be pressed on there pretty good and I can't remove the pulley until that bearing is off. Any tips for getting it off?

2) The replacement bushings don't match the ones on the machine. On the motor pulley, there appears to be 2 blue turcite bushings (one in each end of the pulley) separated by a spacer. See pic. The replacement bushing is a single piece (feels like delrin). The motor shaft is 1.375", the replacement bushing ID is 1.300". The original bushing OD is about 1.675", the replacement bushing OD is approx 1.51. I haven't gotten the driven pulley off yet, but the shaft is 2" and the replacement bushing ID is approx 1.925".

The place I bought the bushings from is suggesting that the previous owner must have bored out the pulleys and fitted different replacements bushings. Does anyone know what the factory bushing dimensions were, if there were different versions, and if they ever used multiple pieces?

Here's the motor pulley as it came off my machine:
bushing.jpg

Thanks everyone!
Tom

Back