Servo running rough

have you been cutting any ferrous metal? Any chance you have iron filings working there way into the permanent magnets?

More info! Is this a DC motor with brushes?
What if anything are you using for feed back?
Does the drive have a auto tune function?
Where is the gain set at?
Brushless servo

I just put the 750 watt version on my drill press. So far it has run fine. I have the exact same manual and I have talked with the seller about some of the options. My guess is, you need a new controller, but you could try a factory reset of the controller and see what that gets you. There is a guy in Fl who has new boards for $50.
BEFORE you do this, make sure you know what P17 is set for. You will need to reset it. To enter programming, press P and S at the same time. Then browse up/down thru the functions.
See the first line under "Special Function" to do the reset.
Also, you might want to play with P6 and P8. I set them as low as possible. P8 set to 0 coasts to a stop and saves wear and tear.
Let me know if I can help.
Robert
I did the reset last night after putting it back together, will try hooking the belt up today to see if it's better. Thanks for the other tips, I'll bet it is a setting that I messed up accidentally, it's been a little too long to get a refund so I don't have anything to loose right now.

Thanks,

John

So I hooked up the belt and have the same issue, vibration above ~1500 rpm. I'm starting to think it may be an alignment issue or something to do with the mounting, it runs smooth as silk to ~2500 rpm without the belt and only vibrates a little at max 3000rpm.

I'm using the cast pot metal mount that came with the motor and when I play around with alignment it seems to move the vibration up and down in the rpm range. It's probably worth the effort to build a better mount with fine adjustment.

I'm also using a timing belt arrangement, maybe switching to v-pulleys with a round belt would be better?

John

If It ran ok to start, then something changed. Since the motor runs smooth when not hooked to anything. Could it be swarf in the pulleys, damage or swarf in the belt, bearings going bad in spindle and or motor (when side load is applied)?

If it is a tuning problem, you do have access to the tuning gains. I wouldn’t start there but it might help later on.

If It ran ok to start, then something changed. Since the motor runs smooth when not hooked to anything. Could it be swarf in the pulleys, damage or swarf in the belt, bearings going bad in spindle and or motor (when side load is applied)?
Dat510 is on the right track I think. Run your screw assembly off of a drill at various rpms and see how it feels......

Think I'm going to try changing pulleys and belts to see if that smooths things out, I should probably make a better motor mount first though.

John

Could be a funny harmonic due to the mount- try working on that first
And the belt drive could be a factor too- you might want to move the motor in closer to the spindle if possible- less belt whip
I like your design- did you make all the slides or buy them?
-M

Last edited:
Back