Servo type 140 question

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
I asked customer service over at "servo" this question however they never replied with an answer.

got the above servo on the x axis of my bridgeport. The automatic feed dial is marked 0-9. Can anyone tell at what speeds the dial is graduated for. is it ipm or fpm and if so how many would it be at say 1, then 2 and so on until you get to 9.

I have the same power feed and mill. I have never went past the 2. And that's cruising. Majority of my speeds are between 0 and 1. I couldn't tell you f theirs any relation of the numbers to speeds. My guess is NO they are just for reference.

It is not really calibrated to anything, just a reference number.

Put a pointer in the chuck and a scale on the table (or look at the DRO if equipped) Set the dial to 1 and run for 10 seconds. Read the distance. Then set to 2 and do the same thing. That way you can create a chart of the speeds as a number.

Expanding on Jim Dawson's answer ... you might want to verify that the speed is the same in both directions. Then lightly tighten the table stop(s) to simulate machining load and re-check the speed. Not all power feeds will hold the same speed under varying loads.

If it turns out that you only ever use a small portion of the dial's range, are OK with opening up and modifying the feed, and have some basic electronics know-how, you can try the following:
With the dial at the minimum and maximum "useful" settings, measure the resistance values at each. Then add appropriate series resistors before and/or after the pot, so that the useful range spans more of the 0-9 range of the indicator. I've not done this with a power feed, but have used the technique with several other electronic controls.

Caution - this will probably void any warranty you have.

Back