Set and forget mill vise squaring?

And here I thought I had committed the greatest of sins when I cut the jaws square. Thanks for all the ideas on how to make this antique Palgren more usable.

In theory, clamping an overheight piece of bar stock (a parallel)in the vise. Flip vice and force to rear of slot while clamping. Tram the bar or stationary jaw. Should be dead on assuming T slot is parallel to ways. If it is other than dead on, leave indicator on jaw a bar and push/ pull the bed in y axis. If it moves at all, give may be looser than necessary. If it is off, then one of the other solutions may be the answer.
Thoughts or comments?

Where do sine keys on Kurt vises fit in? about $30/per from Kurt, so they must do something special I can’t figure what the advantage is unless you have a grid table to fit it in.

Where do sine keys on Kurt vises fit in? about $30/per from Kurt, so they must do something special I can’t figure what the advantage is unless you have a grid table to fit it in.
I have a Kurt 6” and bought the keys direct from Kurt. They were $48 for a pair. The price has recently been lowered.

You can see from the application drawing where the diameter fits on the bottom of the vise. The square portion of the sine vise fits in the slots on the mill bed.

Attachments

• 918281CC-CA70-4CA1-8B75-06835BA2AC45.png
    918281CC-CA70-4CA1-8B75-06835BA2AC45.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 900C6FFC-4399-4BF4-B863-5C30A91FD7EB.jpeg
    900C6FFC-4399-4BF4-B863-5C30A91FD7EB.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 40
When I looked at them yesterday they were $$55/pair plus a 4% tariff which I thought was for Chinese imports, thought Kurt was totally USA, so close to &60/pair, fair enough if they do something unique and special. I get where they go but was wondering about the advantage.
Sine keys

Gets you close quickly to tram....that is what it does.

On bottom of vise mill a slot same width as T slots through center of mounting holes, making sure square.

Make special t nuts tall enough to fit the slots but still have headroom.

Fast and easy, still training only takes a minute or so with correct DI in a coller or chuck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This is what I was looking for, found it in an old post;
"The reason for the round "sine keys" instead of square keys is so the vise can be mounted at odd angles"

Back